By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why have SCE Japan Studio developed another horse racing sim for PS3?

With the lack of PS3 titles targeted at the Japanese market SCE Japan Studio will be releasing Derby Time Online for PS3 in Japan on November 13. I have nothing against horse racing sims, but they are a relatively niche genre, and there are already two horse racing sim series on PS3 in Japan, G1 Jockey, and Winning Post. Surely there are other genres in far more need of games on PS3 in Japan. I find the decision making at SCEI to be a little bizarre to say the least, how did this game get green lighted ahead of other projects?

Horse racing fans aren't going short of PS3 games in Japan ...

Around the Network

horse racing is the new jrpg. sony is just ahead of the curve.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

can Sony make money from online betting. If so then it's a sure to be the odds on favorite reason.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

.jayderyu said:
can Sony make money from online betting. If so then it's a sure to be the odds on favorite reason.

These games are just horse racing simulators, there isn't any online betting, which I believe is illegal in Japan anyway.

It's an interesting concept though.

the game was probably cheap to make and boosts the horrible holiday lineup in JP by at least one more game.

Around the Network

Afrika, Aquanauts, LBP, Derby Time online are the next Sony games in Japan. I think Sony is trying to win over the casuals... but it's too late now.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Beja-Beja said:
the game was probably cheap to make and boosts the horrible holiday lineup in JP by at least one more game.

Well, it has "has full licensing from the JRA (Japan Racing Association)", so probably isn't as cheap as it seems.

With regards to the earlier online betting comment, it actually does have online betting, but not for real money. I don't think it would be allowed in Japan, but a game like this with real money online betting would make for a very interesting concept in Europe (US has stupid laws against online betting too).

Sony brings online horse racing to the PS3

New Derby Time game to feature online races and stats.

--Sep 08, 2008, 20:15, Tokyo--Coinciding with coverage in the latest issue of its print version, Famitsu.com posted today details on Derby Time Online, a new PS3 horse racing game from Land Ho!, makers of the Derby Tsuku series.

Set to be published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Derby Time Online has full licensing from the JRA (Japan Racing Association). All in-game horses are real, including currently active horses and famous horses of old.

As suggested by the name, Land Ho! is working a strong online component into the game. In addition to online play, the title will link up with the JRA racing schedule and update its statistics immediately following Friday results.

The main mode of play is the Jockey Race Mode, where you play as a rider and take part in online races. Like everything else in the game, the races themselves are real, offering players a choice of participating in this week's races or in classic races.

Those who want more of a simulation can play Owners Race Mode. Like Jockey Race Mode, this mode consists of online races, only once you've registered your horse, the servers take over from there. Races are held automatically over night, with the results being reported to players in video form the following day.

Also included are two modes for those who prefer the gambling side of horse racing.

In the Prediction Mode, you select winning positions of horses in upcoming JRA races. The game then generates a race video, which can be uploaded for others to view.

Bet Mode offers a chance a pseudo gambling, with medals that you've earned in Jockey Race mode being used in place of actual money. Here, you place bets on races that are held online every five minutes.

For screenshots, see the original Famitsu.com article.

Derby Time Online is set for release on November 13 at 5,980 yen.

Link

For shame sony, for shame.

horse sim games have done very well in Japan in the past, especially the Derby Stallion franchise

God help us all there is probably no real good reason they are making another horse racing sim. They should be trying to work on some RPG games imo.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

PSN ID: smj1860