By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and DS games having the worst storylines?

This is something troubling that hasn't changed much since the release of the systems. But if you compare the game libraries of the Wii and DS to the PS3, X360 or even the PSP, we see far less narrative driven games on Nintendo's platforms. Even those very few that have some narrative thread are quite weak by any storytelling standard, even that of VG storylines. (Think Professor Layton).

Lately I've become quite a bit more accepting of casual games as I have become hooked on a couple of them on my DS and Wii, but I do find the trend of there being a lack of narrative driven games troubling. Is this simply a case of third party's still trying to find an identity on Nintendo platforms (which they should have by now on the DS) or is the whole casual phenomenon endangering the very future of narrative driven games on all platforms?

Around the Network

Seriously, when was Nintendo really focused on storytelling (Paper Mario only comes in mind, like pretty much every other Intelligent Systems games)? You just need good 3rd party support, and the story-driven games will come. It's nothing new.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I thought you had left the forums. It made me happy.

The only way casual games could ever become a threat to story-driven games is if they are seen as an acceptable substitute by the masses. So long as the sales of the games remain strong there will continue to be companies willing to invest money into the development of story driven games so they can make even more money. The DS has plenty of RPGs with as good a story as you can expect to get out of any video game. Honestly, Fire Emblem on the Wii has the best story of any game I have played this generation and it is on the Wii where the genre is not close to fleshed out yet.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I am pretty sure TWEWY was story driven as well as Professor Layton

Riachu said:
I am pretty sure TWEWY was story driven as well as Professor Layton

TWEWY is valid but PL's storyline is more of an excuse to move the mystery gameplay along rather than the gameplay being focused around an individual storyline. Because of that PL's narrative feels less like a great storyline on it's own merit and more like something to simply tie in with the gameplay.

Around the Network

RE4, RE:UC, Fire Emblem DS and Wii, Star Wars TFU, Okami, Super Paper Mario, Zelda:TP, Zelda: PH, ToS:DotNW, DQ IV/V/VI/IX, FF III/IV/Tactics Advance 2/XII Revenant Wings/CC Rings of Fate, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Castlevania DS, Sonic Chronicles, Chronno Trigger DS, Trauma Center DS and Wii, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, NMH, Opoona, The Godfather, Scarface, Valkyre Profile DS, Disgaea DS, Blue Dragon Plus, ASH, Soma Bringer, Etrian Odissey, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Complex storylines do not work in videogames. If anything, I'm glad most games don't rely on their storyline.

Most people on this site always ignore the fact that the Wii (and especially the DS) got and will get plenty of point & click adventures. This narrative genre has found a 2nd home on Nintendo systems (at least this gen).

Chrizum said:
Complex storylines do not work in videogames. If anything, I'm glad most games don't rely on their storyline.

Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Fallout 1 & 2...

And DTG, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are almost as bad as the Wii in terms of quality stories. The only platform for great stories and quality storytelling is the PC, 'nuff said.

i dont believe that you have a DS, someone like you who prides him self on liking story more than gameplay would know about games like phoenix wright games and hotel dusk: room 215 and the huge selection of rpg's on DS, wii does not have enough story driven games though but they will come next year.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434