By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Secret Behind the 360's Game Attach Rate....

I'll fess up that I've played through games longer for achievement points, but never actually bought a game just because it was a easy 1000/1000. I own Eragon but bought it because it was co-op, and it was worth the laugh or two.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network

yeah thats probably part of the reason why the 360 has a better attach rate. but like you said these guys were buyin used games which doesnt factor into actual sales. and most people that play just for achievements would probably get used games or rent games because they don't have money to buy a brand new game every time it comes out.

also another reasons why the ps3 doesn't have such a great attach rate are because some people got it just as a blue-ray player (albeit not many).

The secret behind the Xbox 360's high attach rate is it sells a shitload of games.

But dont tell anyone.......

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Welcome to 2005. :P

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Achievements are a great feature. I didn't realize how fun they were until I got a 360. They're addictive. Many people buy multiplats on the 360 instead of PS3 simply because of achievements. If they weren't important, Sony wouldn't have copied them. Really, they're just a record of your accomplishments, but they're often humorous, and you can compare them directly to other friends who have played the same game. The compare games feature is also very important, and give achievements purpose.

IMO, achievements are great. For instance, I've considered renting King Kong the videogame because I hear it's 1000 easy achievement points. That's how far I've sunk, and I was the biggest achievement hater in the lot before I got a 360. Addictive.

LOL.  It is at the top of my list, but it has a low likely hood of being sent to  me.  With Gamefly I can rent games for my girlfriend to play and she gets me points as well, Viva Pinata, Harry Potter, etc.

Around the Network
trestres said:
Well that may encourage gamers to buy more games, but how sad is it when you buy games just to get more points. WTF, wasn't gaming about the fun of games, rather than playing have the highest score, but not in the games but on a network where no one cares about you.

This even encourages shovelware to be produced. I will never understand people who play solely to get achievements.

Well, actually if you go back to the beginning of videogaming with Arcades, THE POINT OF THOSE GAMES was to have the highest score possible. Hence why Achievements is so popular.

What are you looking at, nerd?

maybe for some people but i'm doubting if carries across the board.

...actually, if anything achievements would cause me to buy less games as i will spend more time on each game before moving onto the next.

i think the real secret to the 360's high attach ratio is its audience. the higher the ratio of hardcore/casual gamers the higher the attach ratio will be as well.

StanGable said:
trestres said:
Well that may encourage gamers to buy more games, but how sad is it when you buy games just to get more points. WTF, wasn't gaming about the fun of games, rather than playing have the highest score, but not in the games but on a network where no one cares about you.

This even encourages shovelware to be produced. I will never understand people who play solely to get achievements.

Well, actually if you go back to the beginning of videogaming with Arcades, THE POINT OF THOSE GAMES was to have the highest score possible. Hence why Achievements is so popular.

So people went to the Arcades and played every single game available to have their names on every machine? No. Actually most of the people focused on 1 single game and tried to be the best, before moving into a newer game. Games today are so different that your comparison makes no sense.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Also factor in that 360 has been out in the markets for an additional year so therefore has more games which have gone down in price. or more bargain binners.

trestres said:
StanGable said:
trestres said:

So people went to the Arcades and played every single game available to have their names on every machine? No. Actually most of the people focused on 1 single game and tried to be the best, before moving into a newer game. Games today are so different that your comparison makes no sense.

Wat?

Isn't that exactly what StanGable said? You know, some people can focus on ONE game as well for achievements...

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!