By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Palin: "Bush Doctrine? Whaat?"

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_mccain_crash_five_planes.html

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
preemptive attacks and the failings of the iraq war are not connected.

the invasion of iraq was decently executed...the occupation was a failure because it wasnt properly thought out. you dont need to occupy a country to attack it though.

Yes they are.  Preemption is a doctrine crafted with terrorism almost exclusively in mind. 

The invasion of the Iraq War was moderately well executed, but the exit strategy was lacking if present at all.  The Bush administration's attitude towards the Iraqi people was condescending to say the least.  They thought the people would embrace those who invaded their country and dethroned their leader (putting aside the issue of how much a tyrant he was) while simultaneously destroying their homes, their families, and the stability of their country.

Terrorism is the new guerilla warfare.  Why do you think we were so effective when fighting against the British imperialists?  Because we fought the war in a way they were unfamiliar with and in a way they could not easily counteract.  They ran into the same problem we have in Iraq, you can't fix every problem with a sledgehammer, especially when you are not fighting on your own turf.

Invading the country directly or indirectly increased the hostile rhetoric towards the United States throughout the Middle East, not just Iraq.  Many of these people entered the country to fight because they hated America so much even if they weren't Iraqis.  We have probably created as many new terrorists as those we have killed until very recently.  That is not how you win a war.

Remember what George Washington said?

Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation [as our geographical isolation from the rest of the world]? Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground? Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humor or caprice?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

the situations arent anything alike. the US had the means to properly secure the country quite easily. they didnt.

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

@akuma,

Re-read what MrBubble's wrote. He said the failings of the war are not connected to the preemption strategy. He did not try to assert that the preemption strategy had no connection to Iraq at all.

To Each Man, Responsibility
MrBubbles said:
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_mccain_crash_five_planes.html

So this link says he crashed 2 planes, had one shot down, and had one claimed via an accident.  So that still doesn't add to him crashing no planes.

This still has little to do with my initial point, which was that attacking Kerry was OK (most of the swift boat claims about Kerry were proven to be false), while attacking McCain is off limits.  Whether his planes crashes were his fault or not is beside the point.  The point is that if Obama had McCain's record, you can be sure that this would have been "questioned" and joked about by the conservative media by now.

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
the situations arent anything alike. the US had the means to properly secure the country quite easily. they didnt.

Explain.  How could they have done it easily?  And what is your definition of securing a country?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think we are getting a bit far off-topic now folks. McCain's pilot record doesn't appear to have much of anything to do with Palin's response to the Bush Doctrine question..at least the stuff about the Iraq war is loosely related...still a bit off-topic but better than the pilot record =P

To Each Man, Responsibility

the fact that they werent his fault isnt beside the point. you tried to make him look like an incompetent pilot when that wasnt the case at all. he isnt responsible for mechanical failures.
and the swiftboat commercial wasnt orchestrated by the republican party.

MrBubbles said:
the fact that they werent his fault isnt beside the point. you tried to make him look like an incompetent pilot when that wasnt the case at all. he isnt responsible for mechanical failures.

You can believe that if you want.

Your still making my point.  The republicans would have been all over this by now, the democrats won't touch it.

Sorry Sqrl, last post from me on this.

whatever said:
MrBubbles said:

You can believe that if you want.

Your still making my point.  The republicans would have been all over this by now, the democrats won't touch it.

Sorry Sqrl, last post from me on this.

with all the rediculous stuff about mccain and palin floating around because of democrats its a little hard to paint them as saints, dont you think?