By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

Oh heck - Exercise games!! That's a whole new genre right there. And we know of 4 already - Wii Fit, Family Trainer, Jullian Michaels Ultimatum Fitness, EA fitness (untitled). That could be a big new genre

Around the Network

That's not a new genre at all, Gamerace. That's a revived genre. World Class Track Meet says hi.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

What about Wii music? its a whole new genre by itself... anyway, I like this paragraph:

But for the present, Wii tidal waves keep slamming into the industry. Drizzling cold rain and a sharp wind have ruined the parties of the hardcore. An uneasy sense has come that they know the future belongs to Nintendo. As soon as the storm pauses, another Wii tidal wave slams taking away more hardcore gamers out to sea. Some are even traditional Nintendo fans who loved the ‘hardcore’ games Nintendo made during the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube eras.

“Help!” *gurgle* “Help!” struggles a voice from an outstretched hand poking up from the currents. “I used to love Nintendo!” *gurgle* “What is happening!?”

Sighing, I reached over and pulled him up to solid ground. As the gamer spits out the Blue Ocean water, he looks up and says…

Evil Nintendo

“Evil Nintendo! Evil Nintendo!”

“What’s the matter?” said I. “What is the meaning of this sudden dislike to the most extolled gaming company in the world?”

“You alarm me. I hear applause, laughter, and fun cried down, and Polonius went so far even as to say, ‘Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.’”

“Come, come, exercise a little wonder. What has happened to you? Has your Xbox 360 been failing on you? Has Sony been playing you false? Or has your square expectations been slammed by a round reality?”

“It has nothing to do with my Xbox 360, my Playstation 3, by its insignificance, is safe from high expectations, but as for my square thoughts…”

“Ah! Now I have it. How could I be so blind? You, too, are an imaginary pilgrim who looks to gaming as works of art to be immersed, of new fictional worlds to explore. Your games have to strive to be more perfect than that of World War 2, of the Illiad, of Predator, and perhaps even Lord of the Rings. And the thing that troubles you is that Nintendo’s direction is it is retarding your more perfect versions of the above realms you wish to digitally soak yourself. This is the rock on which all analysts split. Why, the very definition of gaming is at stake! As the non-games come not in single spies but in battalions, the market has become soft wax in Nintendo’s fingers.”

“Indeed! I fear Nintendo will remold gaming into a shape of non-art. For decades, gaming has been advancing. The art of gaming has been advancing as well. But with one single console, Nintendo has blown gaming back to the stone age.”

^^^

SO TRUE!

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Execrice games are just life style games, they just never made an appearance on a gaming console... well one did on the Xbox but it was no where near as elaborate as Wiifit.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Heh. I just realized, Miyamoto basically did a "Chabudai Gaeshi" (upending of the tea table) on the entire video game industry with the Wii series. The man is a serial disruptor, just never on quite this scale before.

Around the Network

wii music = 5 mln seller. 'nuff said.

up next: wii teleport (in this game you swing the nunchuck to time travel or go anyplace in the world instantly)!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Having Wii in the title doesn't ensure success, Soriku. Wii Chess is still a low seller, largely because the board-games-only crowd isn't that big. The people to look at for the odds of success for any title that tries something different is the people who don't play games in the genre the game is in.

To be Successful on the Market, Big names need to attract casuals, i really dont see anything wrong with Wii Music at this same time Ninty gives us other hardcore titles (FFIV, D:DOC,Warioland, even AC) . IF anything strong sales of something like Wii Music can benefit us, releasing some hardcore weird Game like Cpt. Rainbow wont be a risk because they will make enough money on Casual games.

If Wii Music is fun, i wont have nothing against it, it will sell like Crazy; something like 6 mln is minimum.

Anyway, if Wii Music was succesful and it became a instant million seller then its the end of core gamer as we know it. What we really afraid of, thats why there are many people including me against it.

The everyday ads of Wii Music on gametrailers are annoying though, are those commercials really TV ad for Japan?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
Anyway, if Wii Music was succesful and it became a instant million seller then its the end of core gamer as we know it. What we really afraid of, thats why there are many people including me against it.

The everyday ads of Wii Music on gametrailers are annoying though, are those commercials really TV ad for Japan?

I really don't see that being the case.  Assuming I'm wrong and Wii Music sells 20m the rest of the industry still won't understand why.  Look at it this way: The Sims in the best selling game on PC has been for years - yet no one has ever made a competitor to The Sims.  Why?  They don't understand it.

Publishers are a timid bunch - they stick to what they know.  And there's still money to be made in them core gamers, even if many go bankrupt trying to mine it.