By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA- The most overrated game of any gen?

OT: completely agree although I think the average should be lower when you take into account the bugs.

Around the Network

It was overrated, but there is definately a crap load of games it is better then. You want the real most overrated, that would clearly be Halo 3. Sorry Halo fanboys but it was extremely overrated.

Nintendo = Innovation = Wii

OGY said:

It was overrated, but there is definately a crap load of games it is better then. You want the real most overrated, that would clearly be Halo 3. Sorry Halo fanboys but it was extremely overrated.

Coming form a guy that praises wii for innovation in his signature ...I am not surprised.

IMO GTA IV is a great game, much better than many 90%+ rated games. I agree with OGY, Halo 3 is probably one of the most overrated /overhyped games.

I also think Gears of War and Mass Effect are overrated / overhyped.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
IMO GTA IV is a great game, much better than many 90%+ rated games. I agree with OGY, Halo 3 is probably one of the most overrated /overhyped games.

Right...cause they are not available on ps3. Ignorance is bliss.

Around the Network

"I also think Gears of War and Mass Effect are overrated / overhyped."

I agree, and I think the majority of Wii games that have been released this gen are also overrated.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

disolitude said:
MikeB said:

No, I bought Gears of War for the 360. It was OK, but I expected a masterpiece judging from the hyped reviews. The main personae did not appeal to me at all, the story was weak, I hated the light gun section, the main gameplay was good but environmental movement was too restricted, crouched running was lame (I am a Physio), the Beserker was the coolest enemy but too pre-scripted being unable to hurt it with normal guns, boomers were lame saying "boom!" when shooting like some 5 year old,  the big boss in the PC version (unavailable on the 360 version) seems like a far more suitable end-boss.

Mass Effect, IMO becomes a bit too repetitive and boring (especially cutscenes), lots of framerate and texture pop-in issues. IMO not living up to its hype neither.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I think its a technical masterpiece in terms of making a large city environment. But they just forgot to make the game fun, driving a to b gets boring.

I felt the same about Bully, they simulate a great real world environment. But the gameplay is repetitive and boring, go to a then b fetch quest.

R* build the environment and tack gameplay onto it. I prefer the Nintendo school of game making, make fun gameplay mechanics and then build the game around that.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

disolitude said:
MikeB said:

Maybe this will make you feel better. I loved the 360 exclusive Kameo: Elements of Power and liked Dead or Alive 4 a lot as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales

My girl thinks it's a 6/10 game because she didn't like how buggy it was and how oddly bad the physics were.  Plus, it is a bad driving game and it has poor shooting mechanics, so the two main parts of the game are both done badly.

Still, I thought it was reasonably fun -- not one of the 5 most fun of 2008 that I've played -- but worthy of a 7/10.