By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Awarded Games of the Year

I got curious and thought of making a list where the games were judged solely on awards aggregate won by the media (this does not necessarily mean it's the best). Instead of making one of those "What was were your GOTYs" thread where it just goes on to flamebaits and fanboy-loving, I decided to make the list here on the forums so might need help on this, but for now the list will only go down to 1996:

1996 -

1997 -

1998 -

1999 -

2000 - Deus Ex (PC)
Over 30 GOTY awards
GDC Awards for "Excellence in Game Design", "Game Innovation Spotlight"
Interactive Achievement Awards for "Computer Innovation", "Computer Action/Adventure"
Several "Best Story" Awards, including Gamesutra's "Quantum Leap" Award for Storytelling

2001 -

2002 -

2003 - Knights of the Old Republic (PC/Xbox)

Over 120 awards
48 GOTY awards
33 RPG of the Year awards

2004 - Half-Life 2 (PC)
Over 35 GOTY awards
Edge awarded for "Innovation", "Visual Design"
GDC Awards for "Technology", "Excellence in Writing", "Character Design"

2005 -

2006 - Oblivion (PC/X360)
Over 50 awards
Over 15 GOTY awards
Over 15 PC/X360 GOTY awards

2007 - The Orange Box (PC/PS3/X360)
Over 100 awards and 17 GOTY awards

If anyone wishes to help, be my guest!

Around the Network

I think 1998 was Ocarina of Time and 2007 was Super Mario Galaxy (definitely not Orange Box).

Chrizum said:
I think 1998 was Ocarina of Time and 2007 was Super Mario Galaxy (definitely not Orange Box).

In 1998 there was also Starcraft and Half-Life, so it'll be hard to know which actually won the most.

The Orange Box won over 100 awards, not counting Portal and TF2 seperately. SMG had no chance.

Wasn't resident evil 4 one of them?

Can love bloom on the battlefield?                 Proud supporter of this gen!!!

100 awards! Where from?

Are we going into tiny websites for these or are they recognisable awards.

Around the Network

Yeah, where did this info come from? Quake is probably gonna be pretty high up, since it was released in 1996.

Just updated the most awarded game of 2006, Oblivion. It was a race between Oblivion, Company of Heroes and gears of war. GoW had more awards but very few GOTY awards, while Oblivion raked in more "important" awards (the fact it was released in 2 platforms helps). Keep in mind that this isn't accurate, but a rough representation of the amount of awards given, so some other game might in reality have gotten more than any I mentioned above.

TWRoO said:
100 awards! Where from?

It doesn't matter much because when you include all the awards won by each of OB's games, you get atleast 60 GOTYs and almost 200 awards.

Add KOTOR for 2003 (Over 40 GOTY awards).

halogamer1989 said:
Add KOTOR for 2003 (Over 40 GOTY awards).

Done.

shio said:
TWRoO said:
100 awards! Where from?

It doesn't matter much because when you include all the awards won by each of OB's games, you get atleast 60 GOTYs and almost 200 awards.

What does OB mean?

I mean I am just wondering because there is a list of awards here for Super Mario Galaxy which is no where near complete, and already has 15 GOTYs (+ some other awards from the same sites....something I hadn't considered regarding your OP)

And searching through the posts I have so far found 3 GOTYs more not added to the OP GamesMaster (UK magazine) Amazon.com and Game Reactor Magazine.

I also know myself it recieved the award in ONM magazine.... so that's 19 Game of the Years 2007.

And I believe there were a few other mags that awarded it too.