By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - i recon ps3 will have a price cut before the end of the year

Doubt it. They have a very healthy lead over the 360 week over week and they couldnt touch Wii numbers unless they dropped the price to 100 bucks, I think they are quite happy where they are.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

IF it did happen I reckon it would go something like this:

I think with the new 80gb and 160gb bundle, they are cheaper to make. No BC on offer in the US models now. Also rumoured that these models run less watts implying 65nm GPU - another saving in cost.

So with the 160gb currently bundled and 499.00US, they can drop the bundle and not piss off (too much) previous buyers of the 160gb if they drop the price to say 399.00US. And let's face it, at the OEM level there is bugger all difference in costing of a 80gb hdd and a 160gb hdd.

Then drop the 80gb model to 349.00US OR if they really wanted to go for it, drop it to 299.00 to take the 360 Pro head on.

They can sit back and see. If there is a huge upswing in 360 sales, I guess Sony will be forced into action but why take action now? Best to wait and see for a month.

I agree. Sony should sit back and let the sales sort themselves out. The best thing for Sony to do is, wait out this Christmas season.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

twesterm said:
They aren't going to do more price cuts, they are just going to release more SKU's.

This and bundles is how Sony plans on getting throw this Xmas.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Ehh highly unlikely. Unless the PS3 drops to entirely crap lvls which in itself is highly unlikely you wont see a price cut. The PS3 is selling fine the way it is and with LBP and R2 around the corner to boost sales (LBP moreso) I don't think the PS3 sales are going to dry up.

It's just not good business to drop the price of the product when it's alrdy doing great as is. They'll obtain much more revenue keeping the price the way it is especially since Stringer confirms they are still selling the console at a loss. And b/f someone says that the PS3's software recoups the loss, revenue obtained is still revenue obtained and they'll get more of it this way IMO.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Around the Network

I don't think they need to.

They are selling 150k per week @ $400. They need to reduce costs, not prices.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Yhea I see a $349.00 Ps3

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Depends entirely on whether or not the 360 cut is significant enough to cut into Sony's sales or not. If they remain on target to meet projected sales without a price cut, they won't have one. If sales slip, then I suspect homeroids reckons rightly.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I Think they'll cut the price in March 09 tp $299 for 80 GB Non BC

Even with the price cut, the 360 can't seem to get in front of the PS3 at Amazon. I find this surprising, to say the least. Yeah, I know, Amazon is NOT typical of the whole industry but it is a indicator.