By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sold out at some stores?

HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:
WiteoutKing said:
Diomedes1976 said:
It will be interesting to see the NPD data for July .

In any case ,it is clear that the PS3 at 499 is far better value that the Elite at 480 .Maybe people are coming to realize this .

"It is clear"? That's news to me. Just how is it so "clear" that the PS3 is better value than the Xbox 360 Elite?

It is crystal clear .

Why ?Lets see .....

1.Ps3 has a Blue Ray driver for HD movies ....Elite doesnt .

2.PS3 has built-in wifi if you dont want to have all your house wired .....Elite doesnt (and cost 80 dollars to buy ) .

3.PS3 has a retrocompatibility with PS1 and PS2 that works very well ....the 360 retrocompatibility sucks .

4.PS3 has a free online service that at least allows you to play by internet without lag ...more than enough for most players who arent online-freaks .X360 and the Elite make you pay some 60 euros per year or 300 for 5 years .

5.PS3 doesnt break ,have 3 red lights know as the Ring of Death ,doesnt scratch discs ...etc etc .Elite has the same motherboard as X360 so it has the same problems .

6.PS3 has HDMI 1.3 while Elite only has the 1.2 .

7:PS3 can be connected to the PSP and be accesed by the PSP from anywhere with wifi .

8.PS3 has card readers ,Elite doesnt .

9:PS3 can use most PC keyboards and mouses and accesories ....X360 and the Elite have their own and expensive accesories .

All in all ,as I said before ,its crystal clear that the PS3 at 499 is a way better choice price-value that the Elite .

I agree with a lot of what you're saying in principle, but in reality I don't think it has much of an impact

The HD movies and card readers are great for the few people who care at the moment, but are pretty meaningless to everyone else

For a lot of people who care about the online capabilities (online gamers) would choose to have a wired connection anyways due to latency

Backwards compatibility is a great feature on paper (and can motivate people) but most people don't play many previous generation games on their system

The online services really don't compare all that well to eachother, the PS3 is free but not fantastic while the XBox 360's online service costs money but is pretty remarkable.

The PSP compatibility is only going to matter to a small segment of the gaming population who has (or will soon buy) a PSP.

What I am saying is the PS3 offers a lot of value over the XBox 360 Elite for you, but a large portion of the population will probably not see it the same way.

I agree. There's a reason why it's called a games console after all.

All this fluff is nice but it doesn't mean anything without some substance (good games).

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:
WiteoutKing said:
Diomedes1976 said:
It will be interesting to see the NPD data for July .

In any case ,it is clear that the PS3 at 499 is far better value that the Elite at 480 .Maybe people are coming to realize this .

"It is clear"? That's news to me. Just how is it so "clear" that the PS3 is better value than the Xbox 360 Elite?

It is crystal clear .

Why ?Lets see .....

1.Ps3 has a Blue Ray driver for HD movies ....Elite doesnt .

2.PS3 has built-in wifi if you dont want to have all your house wired .....Elite doesnt (and cost 80 dollars to buy ) .

3.PS3 has a retrocompatibility with PS1 and PS2 that works very well ....the 360 retrocompatibility sucks .

4.PS3 has a free online service that at least allows you to play by internet without lag ...more than enough for most players who arent online-freaks .X360 and the Elite make you pay some 60 euros per year or 300 for 5 years .

5.PS3 doesnt break ,have 3 red lights know as the Ring of Death ,doesnt scratch discs ...etc etc .Elite has the same motherboard as X360 so it has the same problems .

6.PS3 has HDMI 1.3 while Elite only has the 1.2 .

7:PS3 can be connected to the PSP and be accesed by the PSP from anywhere with wifi .

8.PS3 has card readers ,Elite doesnt .

9:PS3 can use most PC keyboards and mouses and accesories ....X360 and the Elite have their own and expensive accesories .

All in all ,as I said before ,its crystal clear that the PS3 at 499 is a way better choice price-value that the Elite .

I agree with a lot of what you're saying in principle, but in reality I don't think it has much of an impact

The HD movies and card readers are great for the few people who care at the moment, but are pretty meaningless to everyone else

For a lot of people who care about the online capabilities (online gamers) would choose to have a wired connection anyways due to latency

Backwards compatibility is a great feature on paper (and can motivate people) but most people don't play many previous generation games on their system

The online services really don't compare all that well to eachother, the PS3 is free but not fantastic while the XBox 360's online service costs money but is pretty remarkable.

The PSP compatibility is only going to matter to a small segment of the gaming population who has (or will soon buy) a PSP.

What I am saying is the PS3 offers a lot of value over the XBox 360 Elite for you, but a large portion of the population will probably not see it the same way.

Because you know I haven't heard a lot of 360 owners I personally know bitch about having to have a wired connection. I know a lot of "hard-core" gamers who do all their gaming on wireless connections simply because it is more convenient.

You act like the Blu-Ray market will not continue to grow larger either. It is something that and increasingly large number of people will use over time. CD's weren't a smash when they came out. DVD's weren't a smash when they came out. But ultimately, they became the standard storage format for several years.

Why does everyone complain about the PS3's online as well. Besides in-game messaging (which future updates that let you access the XMB in game will fix), I can count on one hand the differences I have really noticed between the two. I agree XBox Live is better, but $60 a year better? That is a lot harder to answer.

1. You don't HAVE to have a wired connection on the 360. Wireless adaptors are available at less cost than buying a PS3 and my own 360 is on WiFi.

2. I couldn't give two hoots about blu ray.

3. Blah, blah, blah... So far you're not exactly giving me a compeling reason to switch from the 360 to PS3.

Well, I lucked out and went to my local CC today and they had just 3 left when I stopped in to get mine. They had the manager go and pick up 40 PS3's from another location that is in a rather seedy (poor) area of the city to fill back up their stock for today. When I walked out with my PS3 some guy asked me if they still had more left and I told him that they only had 2 after the one I had bought. Looked on CC's website and they are now sold out once again at the location near me.

Bump or not, the PS3 seems to be moving quite well in this area, and I have a feeling that it's happening in other places as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see what the July sales numbers look like when they come out, and find out that many of us underestimated the difference $100 would make and sell 500k+ units.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

EBgames shows basically all 1-3 or 4+ for my area, but as people have pointed out, they aren't the most up to date.  Typing my area into Best Buy brings up 6 stores as having them available. Circuit City doesn't have them in stock. I do expect sales to pick up though.

Would anyone care to enlighten me if these sales hae something to do with the 5 Blu-Ray movie that came with a PS3 or some other kind of special offer, or are these sales purely on the price drop alone??

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

Idunno, but amazon.com sold ~850 PS3 in the last 24 hours, and the Sony E3 confrence hasnt even happend yet. If that keeps up, that is around a 2800% sales increase from exactly 1 week ago. Or from VG charts numbers, 18,000 in 7 days, that is about 260 consoles/day.

That translates into almost 10,000/day. Or 70,000 for the week. And that is a conservative number, as I said 30 PS3 in 24 hours, when it's more like 20. So We should be seeing around 50,000-200,000 sold in the week.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
Idunno, but amazon.com sold ~850 PS3 in the last 24 hours, and the Sony E3 confrence hasnt even happend yet. If that keeps up, that is around a 2800% sales increase from exactly 1 week ago. Or from VG charts numbers, 18,000 in 7 days, that is about 260 consoles/day.

That translates into almost 10,000/day. Or 70,000 for the week. And that is a conservative number, as I said 30 PS3 in 24 hours, when it's more like 20. So We should be seeing around 50,000-200,000 sold in the week.

That 2800% increase was for tis ranking it went up from a ranking of 28 to 1. It wasn't sales. Sales have definitely increased but it is still very easily available here in the Bay Area. I may be getting one to replace the one that was stolen in april. Circut city has a deal where you get a free controller with it and I am getting sick of waiting to get another Wii..I refuse bundles and E-bay.

kwaad dont get your hopes up too high.

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

redspear said:
Kwaad said:

That 2800% increase was for tis ranking it went up from a ranking of 28 to 1. It wasn't sales. Sales have definitely increased but it is still very easily available here in the Bay Area. I may be getting one to replace the one that was stolen in april. Circut city has a deal where you get a free controller with it and I am getting sick of waiting to get another Wii..I refuse bundles and E-bay.

No, that is not looking at 28 to #1. That's looking at 850PS3's sold in the last 24 hours. (monday) and 40 PS3's sold on some other day. I looked agian and found a 40 PS3 day. So that's only 2100%. But that 850 is a ball-park figure. It's probibally higher. This is units sold. The reports of it selling everyone are amazing.

I never would have thought it would have given this big a boost. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

takkxyz said:
Would anyone care to enlighten me if these sales hae something to do with the 5 Blu-Ray movie that came with a PS3 or some other kind of special offer, or are these sales purely on the price drop alone??

its both.. from now until september i think... if you buy a ps3 you get 5 free blu ray movies for free... some places are even throwing in a free blu ray remote and wireless ps3 for free..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732