By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So what comes after Blu Ray?

Undoubtedly this question has been posed many times before. But what will come after Blu Ray? 

One of the reason i believe that Blu Ray is not the sellout technology it should be is because the average person really cannot see the difference, or at least enough difference to justify paying a higher price for Blu Ray technology with relation to standard DVD technology.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the PS3. The PS3 is an amazing machine which offers a significant sensual improvement with relation to the PS2. But in  terms of TV/DVD output the difference is minimal. But even if this was not the case, what comes after Blu Ray? Surely we cannot innovate much more in terms of clarity. What are we going to get, silver ray with 7 billion pixels. Will the average human eye be able to recognize any more clarity. 

So my question is, have we reached full maturity of television as we know it. I am sure tv's will get thinner and lighter, and that dvd's will probably be replaced by some sort of virtual memory bank. But will the television experience in 100 years be identical to what it is today as far as screens are concerned. If not, what come next, in the foreseeable future?

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

double post

Image is most definitely going to get clearer and another storage medium will also be needed, of course downloading movies will probably be the next big thing.

Disc-based: Holographic discs
Non-Disc-based: Direct Download (though this often cuts special features and such, which I am a big fan of)

There isn't that much of a demand visual-wise for something bigger than Blu-Ray (which theoretically can store up to 100 gig or even 200 gig) because the human eye already has trouble distinguishing the difference between 720p and 1080p, let alone 1440p, unless the screen is ludicrously large.

Unless you are watching things on a 100 inch screen or larger, Blu-Ray is probably the most you will ever need simply because the human eye can't distinguish the difference.

If it is the size of an IMAX screen, then you could definitely use higher resolution stuff and get an advantage.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Orange-ray

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Disc-based: Holographic discs
Non-Disc-based: Direct Download (though this often cuts special features and such, which I am a big fan of)

There isn't that much of a demand visual-wise for something bigger than Blu-Ray (which theoretically can store up to 100 gig or even 200 gig) because the human eye already has trouble distinguishing the difference between 720p and 1080p, let alone 1440p, unless the screen is ludicrously large.

Unless you are watching things on a 100 inch screen or larger, Blu-Ray is probably the most you will ever need simply because the human eye can't distinguish the difference.

If it is the size of an IMAX screen, then you could definitely use higher resolution stuff and get an advantage.

Yeah thing is image quality isn't just about the number of pixels,it's also about the number of colours, contrast and luminosity and some other things I don't know about like motion and such, and when image quality will reach a level of super realism, a more advanced storage medium might be needed.

The fusion of internet, downloading stuff, general computery things with TV will be the next big step me thinks.

Blu - Ray 2

Blu-ray 4: The Revenge.

But will any company dare to venture outside the box?

Are we soon to venture into 3D television through holographic or cyber technology, or will that never happen?
Or will the next be interactive television, with voice recognition and personalized content?
Or is this just as good as it gets bar some visual upgrades?

What are we likely to see in the future, and how will it evolve to that point.