By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GOW Chains of Olympus = System seller?

As the title suggests.  Do you think God of War: Chains of Olympus can be a system seller for the PSP?

The series of games has sold very well on the PS2 and seeing as there has not been a GOW3 announced yet and even if it is announced at E3, it could easily be another 18 months away and is likely to be for the PS3.

Will fans of the series be prepared to buy a PSP to play another game in the series?

GOW is particularly popular in the US having sold some 3.8m for the first in the series and just over 1m for the second so far.

Also the first game has sold 4.3m worldwide. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

it will sell some systems, it did to me. although im not very happy about that, if the rumors about the psp slim are true.

Still im going to be the slim if it really got better controls and 8 gig memory. just heard about the psp slim just when i bought a "normal" one.

SleepWaking said:
it will sell some systems, it did to me. although im not very happy about that, if the rumors about the psp slim are true.

Still im going to be the slim if it really got better controls and 8 gig memory. just heard about the psp slim just when i bought a "normal" one.

It's not guaranteed yet, but some people reckon it will be announcd at E3 next week.  I doubt it will have new controls...ie. not second analogue...but it will probably come with a better battery, faster UMD drive and will most likely come with at least 4Gb built in flash memory.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

I believe this game will definitely move hardware. I think the boost won't be long-lasting though. I'm a bit wary regards systemsellers because of MGS:PO... this game is really, really good and it failed as a systemseller. There is a complete package for success - big name, some key changes, online etc... I don't know. I think the main factor of much stronger PSP's sale is a bunch of really solid and exclusive titles. GoW is definitely one of such games, another is FF:CC. Two good reasons are always better than one.

maybe GOW sell much systems but i have more hope in that the PSP slim sell the systems that Sony need, i heard rumors too that the PSP slim will be announced in the E3.

Around the Network

I somehow feel that 3.8M games sold in the Americas is wrong. I know the site here says it sold that many, but I'm pretty certain I checked the numbers 1 or 2 months ago and back then I'm almost 100% certain it was around 1.9M. Maybe there is some error in the game database and the totals are doubled up for some reason.

Coming from someone who doesn't own a PS2 or PSP (that's me, btw :P), i'll say i do not have much - to any - interest in purchasing this game, let alone the PSP just for it.. however, as we all know, that is opinionated..

I do, however, think that fans of the other GOW games, would without a doubt pick up a PSP to play it (however, that is if they don't already own a PSP)

megaxl said:
maybe GOW sell much systems but i have more hope in that the PSP slim sell the systems that Sony need, i heard rumors too that the PSP slim will be announced in the E3.

There won't be any new PSP on E3... they will just introduce new extra battery pack As for me it's definitely too early for PSP lite, also all listed features (flash memory) would make this system extremely expensive. PSP sells much better with lower price. What's the point of new more expensive version? It won't change content... Hardware alone is not enough. No matter how strong.

If the PSPslim releases before/with the release of GOW:Chains, then yes, it'll certainly move systems.

If not, then it'll be tough to tell. Maybe a few.

SW-5120-1900-6153

System seller yes. If coupled with a redesign then a better system seller too.

This is all in the US market we're talking about.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!