By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Games for Windows Live

I got Gears of War PC yesterday, and after it taking forever and a day to instal, I finally got it up and running, tried to play but it was so choppy it wasn't possible, so after spending more time defragging everything because the install was one big mess, I played some, worked good, decided to take it online for a bit and I encountered the mess that is Games for Windows Live.  Not only did it initially try to sign me up for xbox live (or are they the same?) I finally made an account, only to have to update, restart, and update, and restart, and update, and restart.  Then, it tried to keep getting me to pay for xbox live when I didn't want it.  I remember reading the article saying that Windows Live was free now and was confused as to why it kept wanting me to pay, but I had the redemption code and typed that in and was finally able to play.

I know that is a big mess of text, but did I just have a bad encouter with the service and everything will go good now or will I have to go through all that BS again in a month when the "1 month free Live service" promotion code weres off?  And why did it keep trying to get me to pay for xbox live?  Is this par for the course for this service and if so, how the hell did they ever expect PC gamers to pay for this?  I tried to explain things exactly how they happened, did I do something wrong that someone can tell that has experienced this service for themselves?

Around the Network

I think Live PC to Live PC is free but Live PC to Live 360 isnt? No idea just guessing.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
I think Live PC to Live PC is free but Live PC to Live 360 isnt? No idea just guessing.

I think you've got it right.

As far as I know, cross platform play is free now for pc owners, and 360-360 play on live anywhere games is free also.