By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Writing HUGE MGS4 Themes/Symbolism/Message analysis. Input Welcome.

Hey,

I'm currently doing in depth research for an exhaustive MGS4 Analysis I will be writing for publishing on various websites. The Analysis will focus on: Themes. Symbolism. Message/Meaning. This analysis will serve as an extremely comprehensive guide for MGS fans interested in understanding the finale of the franchise on a deeper level.

These are the current aspects of MGS4 I have listed that I will be focusing on in my analysis. (Still expanding)

1. Themes:

*Control-Manipulation (genetic and information (meme) control)
*Determinism vs. Free will
*Freedom vs. Liberty vs. Oppression
*Search of Identity
*Human "will"
*Aging/Death
*The nature of Technology and it's effect on mankind
*Responsibility and Redemption
*Private Militarisation
*"Terrorism"
*The 4 building blocks of life and Metal Gear Solid: Gene, Meme, Scene and Sense (with particular focus on the later)

2. Symbolism

3. Conclusion: Message/Meaning behind MGS4

If you have your own interpretations of MGS4's themes, symbolism or message share and discuss them here. Feel free to expand my list of themes with reasoning behind your inclusion of less apparent ones.

Around the Network

If rocketpig find this thread, he will kill it ...

And he will not be alone.

good luck (I dont want to read MGS4 spoilers)

Time to Work !

I can't really help, sorry. I just wanted to say I'm simply astounded someone is doing this. Good luck...

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

I think since the game is very Western-centric it is important to draw in contemporary politics, especially in a post-911 context. While it is understandable that the U.S. reacted as extremely as it did to the tragedy, many of the authoritarian and borderline fascist decisions the Bush administration made were not justified.

Great examples are the wiretapping scandal which outraged Americans, the unnecessarily secretive handling of even basic level information by the Bush White House (they installed their own email server to be separate from the rest of the White House system to avoid having to share their information), as well as the torturing of detainees by PMC personnel in some of the prisons. Some of these detainees are now suing these people because they cannot sue the military. The inability of these detainees to have legal representation up until this point ties into another important theme in all of the MGS games.

The general public's role in pretty much every MGS game is nonexistent, they are completely passive and oblivious to such profound events occurring on their own soil sometimes which could shatter their lives instantaneously, such as Shadow Moses (which became and internet hero story between MGS and MGS2), the interpretation of the Cold War politics in MGS3 in which the public is dangerously close to nuclear holocaust, and the apparent uninvolvement of the public in making the decision to wage so many battles and rely on the PMC's so heavily in MGS4.

People like Zero think it is their duty to bear everyone else's burden by not sharing information with them as to protect them from it, but that extreme level of power corrupts their initially noble intentions because it eventually spirals out of control. Then it becomes a self-sustaining system which no one can turn off (this becomes a literal metaphor with the SOP system in MGS4) largely because they are not even aware how deeply it runs.

The American public's sharp rebukes of the Bush Administration in its 2nd term (which has reached approval levels as low as Nixon did in the height of his scandals) is a perfect example of how frustrated the public becomes when it feels the government has become unresponsive and completely aloof to their own problems as well as making extremely important decisions without even consulting their interests. The Bush Administration has focused on sustaining its image and appealing to its political base rather than enacting policy decisions that will leave a positive legacy.

Even when a chance comes along to show their worth, such as the Hurricane Katrina incident, they delayed sending help to New Orleans for over a week. They even claimed that it was the government in New Orleans fault for not declaring a state of emergency (which either the mayor or governor did 3 days before the hurricane hit land) and then tried to make the mayor sign over her state to the federal government (she was a White Democrat female) in order to receive federal help, which she refused to do. Such crass handling of the situation could not be hid from the public or the media.

In every MGS game there seems to be a tangible distance between the people who these decisions will affect and those who are making these decisions.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Symbolism is impossible when everything is explained to the viewer in great detail.

I'll just leave it at that. I will be interested to read your article when you're finished with it, though.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

I think since the game is very Western-centric it is important to draw in contemporary politics, especially in a post-911 context. While it is understandable that the U.S. reacted as extremely as it did to the tragedy, many of the authoritarian and borderline fascist decisions the Bush administration made were not justified.

Great examples are the wiretapping scandal which outraged Americans, the unnecessarily secretive handling of even basic level information by the Bush White House (they installed their own email server to be separate from the rest of the White House system to avoid having to share their information), as well as the torturing of detainees by PMC personnel in some of the prisons. Some of these detainees are now suing these people because they cannot sue the military. The inability of these detainees to have legal representation up until this point ties into another important theme in all of the MGS games.

The general public's role in pretty much every MGS game is nonexistent, they are completely passive and oblivious to such profound events occurring on their own soil sometimes which could shatter their lives instantaneously, such as Shadow Moses (which became and internet hero story between MGS and MGS2), the interpretation of the Cold War politics in MGS3 in which the public is dangerously close to nuclear holocaust, and the apparent uninvolvement of the public in making the decision to wage so many battles and rely on the PMC's so heavily in MGS4.

People like Zero think it is their duty to bear everyone else's burden by not sharing information with them as to protect them from it, but that extreme level of power corrupts their initially noble intentions because it eventually spirals out of control. Then it becomes a self-sustaining system which no one can turn off (this becomes a literal metaphor with the SOP system in MGS4) largely because they are not even aware how deeply it runs.

The American public's sharp rebukes of the Bush Administration in its 2nd term (which has reached approval levels as low as Nixon did in the height of his scandals) is a perfect example of how frustrated the public becomes when it feels the government has become unresponsive and completely aloof to their own problems as well as making extremely important decisions without even consulting their interests. The Bush Administration has focused on sustaining its image and appealing to its political base rather than enacting policy decisions that will leave a positive legacy.

Even when a chance comes along to show their worth, such as the Hurricane Katrina incident, they delayed sending help to New Orleans for over a week. They even claimed that it was the government in New Orleans fault for not declaring a state of emergency (which either the mayor or governor did 3 days before the hurricane hit land) and then tried to make the mayor sign over her state to the federal government (she was a White Democrat female) in order to receive federal help, which she refused to do. Such crass handling of the situation could not be hid from the public or the media.

In every MGS game there seems to be a tangible distance between the people who these decisions will affect and those who are making these decisions.

That's an interesting take on it and definitely one I haven't considered before. It can certainly be supported by some in game references such as the apparently oblivious public following the immediate aftermath of the Manhattan incident and certain quotations made by President Ames and Vamp concerning public ignorance.

Another idea that perhaps ties in with that in some ways (unless of course is merely coincidential) is the lack of any Presidential character known in MGS4. All previous MGS games had defined Presidential characters that would to a lesser or greater extent be referenced in the narrative.  It raises the question of what happened to the governing body of the United States following the Manhattan incident? Did the Patriots A.I system seize ultimate control under a decre of Martial Law? If so how would that be possible without causing massive public chaos and triggering revolt? Perhaps it simply ties in with the theme of public ignorance or the Patriots had achieved such a level of Information Control that they were able to benefit off the uninformed public -similarly to how the various behind the curtain groups in Deus Ex achieved ultimate governmental authority under the pretense of National Security.

The more important question though and one I'm sure isn't coincidential is what happens after MGS4? While the ending may have been relatively optimistic, perhaps almost satirical to an extent, such a radical, almost day to day shift in how a society operates and governs itself (which essentially is null as we entered a stage of Anarchy at the end of MGS4) would be a major cause for concern. Perhaps Ames foretold it best when he predicted a massive political vaccum, public chaos and pandemonium. -Which is why I believe the ending of MGS4 is perhaps is meant to be misleadingly positive at face value but far more dark if you consider the aftermath of what's left after the credits roll; A world erupt in anarchy and chaos with nobody left to save it as the "last action hero", Solid Snake is dead.

What a coincidence; I'm also currently working on an essay on symbolism for a different game. Here's an excerpt:

"As the player advances in levels, they get to watch our plump crimson plumber descend further and further into his own psychoses. Enemies assault him with greater veracity and in greater numbers, the pits and perils he must face widen and dot with increasing frequency the pockmarked landscape, and power-ups - the "magic" mushrooms and flora that maintain Mario's delusion - become rarer still, such that the discovery of one marks a momentous occasion for both character and player. These new challenges betray a growing desperation. As the princess continues to elude our hero's grasp, he finds it harder and harder to move on; thus, the manifestations of his delusions become wards against his pressing on, as if to say, 'turn back, or all will be lost: not only the princess, but you as well!'

"Now, I have spoken before concerning the various power-ups our hero uses and how they reflect his changing mental state; therefore, I will reiterate them briefly. In his neutral state, Mario finds himself small, only one bare scratch away from death. In every sense, in this state, he is powerless against the world around him, save for the ability to jump upon his enemies (hardly an effective offense in the hostile Mushroom Kingdom). The mushroom, however, grants the illusion of "bigness" and strength; with it, our hero not only believes himself to be greater than he truly is, but it also numbs him from the pain of bashing his fist against blocks, allowing him to shatter them with a mighty blow. The mushroom may therefore be analogous to PCP or a similar dissociative in the "real world." Similarly, the "fire" flower acts as a hallucinogen, combining with the numbing effects of the mushroom to allow our hero to imagine that he can smite his demons with balls of pure flame. Finally, the "star," of which there is no equivalent in our reality, may very well be purely imagined: a device through which our hero copes with his ugly reality by imagining himself a Superman-type figure for a short time.

"These 'power-ups' not only grant Mario himself power, but also allow his player to experience Mario's rush of adrenalin firsthand. Who, for example, did not feel a surge of sheer power when they first obtained a star from a question block, allowing them to plow their diminutive hero straight into hordes of marauding assailants? In that sense, the almost complete removal of 'power-ups' from the later stages of the game gives the player an increasing sense of powerlessness, a feeling equaled only by the sad, tiny figure of 'small' Mario as he wanders along his chosen path, trying desperately to stay alive as he inches toward the love of his life, the Princess, without whom his life is but a psychedelic dream, a fleeting series of images and encounters, signifying naught except what lies within his substance-addled mind."

(...I feel several IQ points stupider after writing that.)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Hahaha epic win Garcian smith.

As soon as I read "plump crimson plumber" I burst out laughing.