By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Review of Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix

http://wii.ign.com/articles/798/798713p1.html

The Video Review shows a very impressive graphical version for the Wii.  I am psyched over this game, despite Matt's review of it. 

Around the Network

I also wrote the following critique of his review: 

If this game is better than all previous HP games, shouldn't Matt have given it at least as good a score as Matt gave on Chamber of Secrets for the Gamecube?

Overall
What Matt said about Harry Potter OOTP:  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my favorite videogame yet based on the ridiculously popular franchise."  
HP:OotP overall score 7.8
HP:CoS overall score: 8.9  

Presentation
What Matt said about Harry Potter OOTP:  "Previous Potter titles have included virtual recreations of the mysterious school, but all of them pale in comparison to this one. "
HP:OotP Presentation 8.0
HP:CoS Presentation 10.0

Graphics
What Matt said about Harry Potter OOTP:  "These locations look more life-like than they ever have before and there are absolutely no load times separating walkways or rooms, a real feat given the scope of the world. This latter truth means that the entire school feels like one connected entity and not a series of rooms linked together by load screens."  "It is worth noting, too, that this latest Potter is one of Wii's prettiest efforts, spitting out spectacular environments complemented by extra detail, and the whole package runs in 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes."
(Matt said "Sadly, there is no progressive scan mode in the game[...]" of the GC version)
HP:OotP Graphics 8.0
HP:CoS Graphics 9.0

Gameplay
What Matt said about Harry Potter OOTP:  "you will gesture with the device to cast spells and amazingly, it feels good, if not right. "
"Prior to playing the adventure, we had some concerns about how well the motion system would interpret movements from Nintendo's controllers, but it honestly works very well. "
"These new motions feel much better than any button press and really serve to immerse you in the spell-casting experience."
(Matt said "Not terribly innovative" of GC version)
HP:OotP Gameplay 7.5
HP:CoS Gameplay 8.0

What did Matt get right?

HP:OotP Sound 9.5
HP:CoS Sound 9.0

HP:OotP Lasting Appeal 8.0
HP:CoS Lasting Appeal 7.0

That must mean that the negatives of the OotP must outweigh the negatives of the CoS.  So let's look at those.  Oddly enough, most of the negatives in the CoS lines up with similar complaints in the OotP, so I've grouped these together.

Challenges
CoS:  "Some of the puzzles lack the intensity of those in Zelda and there is a level of redundancy in some of the challenges[...]"
OotP: "The bigger problem is that despite the gargantuan make-up of the world and all the storylines the game juggles, you will too often find yourself on some random fetch quest. "

Framerate
CoS: "Sometimes all of this comes as the cost of the framerate."  
OotP: "Unfortunately, the fluidity of the entire package is sluggish; this latest Potter runs between 20 and 30 frames per second and the motion is sometimes inconsistent. We're sticklers for smooth framerates in games so naturally we would have preferred an uninterrupted fluidity, but we're more forgiving of this shortcoming than we might be for an effort that stressed action over adventuring. "

Camera
Cos: "On the other hand, some of the stealth areas where Harry must sneak by prefects require the use of the camera stick to see, and these are occasionally a little bothersome as it's hard to center the right angle needed."
OotP: "Not all is well in the polish and pacing departments, however. Potter controls heavily, almost clumsily, through the environments and the camera system, which shoots the action automatically, does not always provide the ideal angle for any given situation. You will sometimes want to point the Wii remote at an object to select it, but will find that doing so is challenging, if not altogether broken;"

Continuity
CoS: "The downside to this type of immense undertaking, though, is that many of the areas are connected by way of load times. Each new massive room needs to be loaded. So, for instance, if Potter runs from the Gryffindor Common Room to the Grand Staircase, there is a 10-second pause involved, and then more loading when players venture into the next separate area. It's frustrating as it happens often and it breaks players temporarily from the universe."
OotP: "You're able to run through the world by holding a button, but the game will sometimes force Harry to walk anyway while it streams in the next location." "However, for some unexplainable reason, the transitions from gameplay to cut-scene are jumpy and jarring, which is unfortunate. "

Other unrelated to each other
CoS: "The title doesn't bring a whopping amount of innovation to the table"

OotP: "Also, you never really know which people and items are truly interactive. You might be able to duel with one character, but not the next; or you can use Wingardium Leviosa to target and lift up one set of drapes, revealing a hidden item, but not the next."  (and this was different from CoS?)

"I actually do sometimes become frustrated with [...] the fact that my Marauder's Map footprints clumsily lead Harry, Ron and Hermione to some locations," (that one I don't get, since the footprints are optional)

So here are the facts.  Make your own determination.  Is Matt Casamassina of IGN ranking HP:OotP correctly?