By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Game installs becoming a 'problem' for 20gb/40gb owners?

PS3 installs are getting bigger and more common. So as people expand their game collections is it going to become more of a problem with people having to do 10minute installs just to go back and play old games if they are forced to uninstall them due to lack of space.

Assassin's Creed--------(Required) 1.3Gb
Battlefield BC------------(Required?) 0.3GB
Devil May Cry 4--------(Required) 4.83 GB
Dark Sector ------------(Required) 1.2 GB
GTA IV-------------------(Required) 3.3 GB
GT5 Prologue-----------(Required) 5.24GB
Heavenly Sword--------(Required) 2.1GB
Medal Of Honor:Airborne-(Required) 1.95 GB
MLB 08 The Show--------(required) 2GB
Metal Gear Solid 4--------(required) 4.0GB +(optional) 0.5GB for MG online
Oblivion GOTY--------------(Required) 5+GB
Ratchet & Clank Future-(Required) 0.42GB
Resistance: Fall of Man--(Required) 0.22GB
Skate ----------------------- (required) 2.6 GB
Virtua Fighter 5--------(Required) 2.34GB
Warhawk w/boosters-(Required) 1.1 GB
Warhawk w/o boosters(Required) 0.8GB

I removed the unpopular and niche games and the games that have optional install.

Full list - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=46e53d151e914134324e0ad3036a69de&t=182682 

If someone was to just buy the top 10 selling PS3 games - GTAIV (3.3), Resistance 1 (0.22), AC (1.3), MGSIV (4.0), GT5P (5.24gb) all require installs at a total of (14.06gb) Which would pretty much fill up a 20gb PS3. That means with a few more games, that person would have to uninstall and reinstall games if there are many more that require installations.

This issue doesn't appear to be getting much better for newer games and the trend seems to be bigger and more common installs for all PS3 games. So as someone increases the size of their collection assuming an easy 4 games bought per year they are going to run out of space very quickly as time goes by.

This is a worrying trend because as time goes on games require more space, online content delivery and games also compete with that space and some people will start to quickly run out of it.

This is IMO very bad form from developers to do this, but understandible for cost/optimization reasoning and its bad form for Sony to allow this.

Tease.

Around the Network

It's becoming a problem for me with a 60gb as well.

It's ridiculous

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

if it ever becomes a problem for my 40gb, i'll upgrade it to a 250gb for cheap.

I wouldn't call an upgrade a viable option for most people who are too afraid to even open up a PC case, so even fewer people would dare to install a bigger HDD on their PS3 and most people wouldn't have the first clue as to how they would back up all the info on the HDD.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
I wouldn't call an upgrade a viable option for most people who are too afraid to even open up a PC case, so even fewer people would dare to install a bigger HDD on their PS3 and most people wouldn't have the first clue as to how they would back up all the info on the HDD.

Replacing the PS3's HDD is significantly easier than replacing any PC component.  I believe the steps are even outlined in the manual.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Squilliam said:

Replacing the PS3's HDD is significantly easier than replacing any PC component.

I agree, I even think it's in the manual. Pretty easy to follow. Take off the tab...unscrew blue screw, pul the metal swingy thing and pull the thing to the side and pull out, and unscrew the other screws to take the drive out. Reverse process. It's pretty simple. Oh...speaking of which. I was barely able to get my blue screw off mine. I had to work very hard and I was very afraid of stripping the screw. :/ The other screws seem to be just as tight. Does anybody have any advice on how to unscrew these tight screws without stripping them?

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

The only games I own that require 1gb+ installs are MGS4 and Heavenly Sword. I know it's purely coincidental, but I like that my tastes (for the most part) coincide with my want to save space. :P

I'm sure Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 won't require much of an install just like the rest of Sony's internally developed games from SCEA and SCEE as well.  From what I hear, the same goes for LBP.  They've managed to heavily compress the size of downloadable levels (i.e., items you created/importedyourself as opposed to stuff that comes on the disc, like pictures) to save space as well.

@ Lone - I accidently unscrewed it when I was taking my HDD out for cleaning (didn't see the pull tab lol) so maybe its variable, depends on luck?

Just use the right sized screw driver, the heads are pretty strong from their looks, I heard a trick not sure if it'll work that you either put the drive in a warm place or a cool place (NO CONDENSATION PLZ) I think it was warm place - like 45 degrees C or 110/120F (well within operating specs) and it should cause the metal to expand and make removal easier.

Tease.

It's easy to replace it, but come on, those installs shouldn't be mandatory.

From this list i have AC, HS, GTA IV, MGS 4 + MGO,Warhawk w/boosters what means 12,3 gb.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

^@Squilliam.

You don't want the metal (screw) to expand, you want it to shrink.