By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Linux Questions

I have done some research on Ubuntu Linux and i have a few questions.

I just ordered the Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Live CD (Couldn't download the 700Mb ISO on 56K dial up) and i was wondering how the device driver support for this distro will be? I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 and i had device driver problems with another linux distro called SLAX so i abandoned it and i was hoping the situation is better in Ubuntu. Is It?

I was also wondering about Ubuntu's performace under a Wubi installation because i am not about to backup my HD and repartition it.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network

Your Graphic card is supported, but you have to enable the use of its proprietary driver.

On the top menu: system > administration > restricted devise management

about wubi:

from wubi-installer.org/faq.php
The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for the hard-disk acces which is slightly slower than an instalation to a dedicated partition. If your hard disk is very fragmented, performance will degenerate.

nvidia drivers are pretty large and might take you a while to download, but they are trivially simple to install on Ubuntu. You'll find most of your hardware will most likely be supported (I have absolutely no hardware issues on my laptop with Hardy)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Thanks dude, is that included in the installation or do i have to download it myself?

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Even if certain items are not in the default installation, when you click on something that you're missing files for, they will be automatically downloaded and installed provided you are connected to the internet.