By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: Full Installation of Games to Take 10 Minutes, -30% Load Times

ManusJustus said:

How big are most games for XBox 360?  I have a 20 GB and since I usually play one game religiously at a time I was wondering if I could install.

Well, if the game is really graphic intense or long...probably around 7 to 9GB. Most games will definitely be 4GB+. So if you plan on using this feature...it's probably a good idea to invest in a larger hard drive.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
celticlonewolf said:
You did forget that mgs4 has after the first install 3 more so if you add all those together you get around 15min install.

Actually, the additional installs of MSG4 overwrite part of the already made 4500MB install. This is why you have to reinstall parts when you go back to an act oyu already finished.

So no, I didn't forget it. It just takes 8 minutes to install 4500MB on a PS3. If you're using the drive optimally that is.

Really, I hardly understand why people are confused by this. It's quite simple, the PS3 has a drive which reads, on average, at 72Mbit a sec (i.e. 9MB/sec) - all Blu-ray 2x drives do this. And that fits with the time it takes for MSG4 to be installed initially. DMC4 takes 22 minutes for 4800 MB, which comes out to ~3MB/sec.

Which is nowhere near the max read speed of a Blu-ray 2x drive. Capcom probably read lots of little scattered files during the install, whereas Konami probably optimized the data on the Blu-ray so it could read a few larger sequential files.

The Xbox drive is obviously faster, it reads DMC4 in ten minutes. That comes out at some 12MB/sec, but is very probably not reading single files at a time. Microsoft most likely made the installer create disc images on the harddisk since that is a very good way to keep compatibility (kind of like Deamon tools on the PC used to do). It also keeps your installer simpler, which is always good.

Geldorn said:
celticlonewolf said:
You did forget that mgs4 has after the first install 3 more so if you add all those together you get around 15min install.

Actually, the additional installs of MSG4 overwrite part of the already made 4500MB install. This is why you have to reinstall parts when you go back to an act oyu already finished.

So no, I didn't forget it. It just takes 8 minutes to install 4500MB on a PS3. If you're using the drive optimally that is.

Really, I hardly understand why people are confused by this. It's quite simple, the PS3 has a drive which reads, on average, at 72Mbit a sec (i.e. 9MB/sec) - all Blu-ray 2x drives do this. And that fits with the time it takes for MSG4 to be installed initially. DMC4 takes 22 minutes for 4800 MB, which comes out to ~3MB/sec.

Which is nowhere near the max read speed of a Blu-ray 2x drive. Capcom probably read lots of little scattered files during the install, whereas Konami probably optimized the data on the Blu-ray so it could read a few larger sequential files.

The Xbox drive is obviously faster, it reads DMC4 in ten minutes. That comes out at some 12MB/sec, but is very probably not reading single files at a time. Microsoft most likely made the installer create disc images on the harddisk since that is a very good way to keep compatibility (kind of like Deamon tools on the PC used to do). It also keeps your installer simpler, which is always good.

This is almost exactly what is happening. They are ripping the image, saving it to the HDD and mounting it to a virtual drive when to be played. This is why the 360 installs can be optional unlike PC?PS3 install, however you will not get the same performance boost as you would from a full instalation.

For multidisc games it looks they remove duplicate information as the Lost Odesy install is supposedly only 10GB.

too bad the next the 360's console life is nearly at an end and will be replaced by the next iteration.

Now 360 fanboys say that this will hurt the PS3, before they said that the PS3 installs are so annoying.

Around the Network

Did they say how much a 60 GB HDD is going to be?! Just the Hard drive because I have the 20 and if its significantly cheaper than the 120, I could lean towards that. Dedicate my 20 gb to my shooters and the other games to the new HDD.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

60GB will cost under $100. Rumored at $99 with extra XBL stuff.

slime - No one has said that it'll hurt the PS3. Just that this makes the whole installation issue vastly in favor of the Xbox 360.

theprof - It's kind of hard for a console to be near the end of it's life if it's successor hasn't been announced, nor is planned to be announced for another 2+ years, no?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

This is only good for Elite owners. And since the 120 HDD is ridiculously overpriced, it's not practical for many people, therefore wont affect buying decisions much.
Nice addition, but I won't waste precious space on it.

I cant believe people with PS3s have come here and complained about install times...

You only have to do it ONCE, and whats 15 minutes of a day to anyone!?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

mrstickball said:
60GB will cost under $100. Rumored at $99 with extra XBL stuff.

slime - No one has said that it'll hurt the PS3. Just that this makes the whole installation issue vastly in favor of the Xbox 360.

theprof - It's kind of hard for a console to be near the end of it's life if it's successor hasn't been announced, nor is planned to be announced for another 2+ years, no?

I was kinda trolling kinda not.

360 sales are way down and now they are adopting install. Soon the 360 will have every feature the ps3 has, and the fanboys won't know what to say. In any case next 360 should be out by 2010.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that i just got a 500 GB drive for my ps3 for 99$