By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: Full Installation of Games to Take 10 Minutes, -30% Load Times

jake_the_fake1 said:
so their doing a rom dump onto the hard drive to speed up load times and shutup the 360 all in one hit.

but if a game is 9GB big, man that's a huge hit on the 20GB HDD

True, though compare that to the forced installs of the PS3 of at most (so far I believe) 5gigs on the 40gig PS3 or even the launch 20gig unit.

I haven't really been too angry against PS3 installs because I've been renting, but the whole idea of forced installs does bother me a little bit becuase I'm hovering around 20gigs of freespace on my 60gig hard drive.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Jake -

This option really isn't designed for the 20GB X360 user. MS is goingto 60gb for the Pro models, and has the 120GB as well. It's possible that they've had this ready for quite some time, and just wanted to wait until the 60GB came onto the market.

But they'll have to give the 20GB users the option either way. In anycase the real winners are those that bought the 120GB 360, and the new 360 owners to come that buy the 60GB 360, the rest either break down and buy the 60GB hard drive, or just put up with what they've doing with the 360 so far.

The people really screwed are the core/arcade owners, but I suppose that's their own fault. LOLz

mrstickball said:
Jake -

This option really isn't designed for the 20GB X360 user. MS is goingto 60gb for the Pro models, and has the 120GB as well. It's possible that they've had this ready for quite some time, and just wanted to wait until the 60GB came onto the market.

Why wait for the 60gig? I mean, they've had the space of the 120gig that's mainly been geared for those who want to download tons of XBLA games and who are heavy users of the video download service.

Though I guess the addition of the 60gig hard drive replacing the 20gig in the pro units helps that a lot, especially since hard drives and storage devices don't offer the full advertised space. Isn't the 20gig 360 hard drive only like 12gigs in reality? My 60gig PS3 hard drive is actually 55gigs.

Teqonix -

One of the documents that sprang up from the leak of the 60GB model coming to reality also showed that the 60GB HDD was going to be priced at $99.99 as a package deal designed to get Arcade/Core users to "Go Live" - which would include he 60GB HDD, XBL Headset, and 3 Months of XBL Gold for $99.99, which is quite a bit better deal than what we currently have. It also stated that they were dropping the price of the 120GB model to $150 as well (wouldn't that signal a price drop on the Elite?)

Jake -

Arcade/Core owners have been screwed in various ways from Day 1. I remember when I was standing inline for my X360 (November 21st, waited for 14hrs) that quite a few people got the Cores before the Prems sold out. Wow, talk about crazy. But at any rate, it does allow for a cheaper system. The mantra has always been you get what you pay for. Atleast MS upgraded the Cores to have memory cards from the factory.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I'm going to have to think long and hard about a 120 GB HDD.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

*looks at his wii*
*looks at an ad for a 120gb harddrive*
*contemplates*

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

starcraft said:
I'm going to have to think long and hard about a 120 GB HDD.

Ditto that, my friend.

im so glad i wont have to hear my 360 anymore, this si awesome

Thats pretty cool. Now hopefully Sony could release a Firmware update to speed up Install times?

MrBubbles said:
*looks at his wii*
*looks at an ad for a 120gb harddrive*
*contemplates*

Lol.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS