By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: Full Installation of Games to Take 10 Minutes, -30% Load Times

Could we please stop with the whole PS3 BLu-ray is slower than 360 DVD drive nonsense.

Around the Network

nt

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Skeeuk said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
DMeisterJ said:
This thread is funny.

People are now indicating that the 360 is obnoxiously louder than a jet engine. They've also admitted that the 360 drive has a wear and tear problem with the drive spinning so much. And also, inadvertently made it known that the load times on 360 games is not exactly where they'd want them to be.

Unlike some other console users, most 360 owners are satisfied and enjoying the stream of awesome games thus we have no problem saying things as they are instead of retorting to mindless "all my console does is awesome" just to save face for oneself.

Yes, the drive is loud as fuck and this will finally mean cuasi-silent operation (the cuasi depending on which motherboard your unit has, newer models are quieter). And yes, while the RROD got the fame many 360's died due to disc drive issues - they used to integrate three different brands of which only one was reliable (benq). Nowadays most 360's are made with benq drives so the reliability has gone up. Finally, the loading times are fine - it's just that everything can always be better. Some people with failing drives will experience longer loading times / streaming issues occasionally so using this workaround they can probably get a lot more life out of their disc drive.

Finally I wonder why you act so surprised. Everywhere where's 360 talk, everyone talks about how loud the damn thing is. But that's the price you pay for high-speed data transfer and the reason 360 games do not require installs - unlike the blue-ray drive integrated in the ps3, the 12x (or is it 16x?) dvd-rom drive on the 360 is fast enough to stream everything off it.

bluray is also fast enough to stream of it.

it depends on the developer and how they want the game to be, i suppose it makes it easier for them to install. and on many games the install makes a huge difference as in dmc4, gta4 and most certainly oblivion

on oblivion the load times frame rates and texture pop in is absolutly drastically reduced, so imo installs for the correct games to enhance the game, i am 100% behind it.

and you have to look at other games like burnout, cod4, battlefield, uncharted they all look awsome and stream straight from the bluray no need for installs.

ps. i really do not like the sound of the highlighted red text in your post.

Its funny though, that they are practically full installs - DMC4- 4.8gb, Oblivion 5+, and GTAIV - 3.3 which would take up over half your space on a 20gb PS3.

Tease.