By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: Full Installation of Games to Take 10 Minutes, -30% Load Times

NJ5 said:

@DMeisterJ: As I recall it, people who criticized PS3's installations did so mostly because of their mandatory nature.

With 360's situation, you still can:

- pop-in a game and play without installing it.
- avoid installation if you don't have free space.

Those two things alone kill all the annoyance generated by mandatory installations. I know it's fun to try and prove other people are hypocrites, but I see no hypocrisy whatsoever.

This is a nice upgrade, and one that I'm likely to use occasionally.

Nice summary.

Around the Network

@ NJ5

I understand that, and have stated that mandatory installs suck.

What I'm talking about is the people who said "Installs are only for PCs", etc. who are now all of a sudden on the "installs, FTW" bandwagon. People who didn't even want installs whether or not they were optional are now okeydokey with installs.

Hypocritical, no?

@DMeisterJ: If someone actually said it that way, maybe you have a case...

However, the PC case is yet another one of mandatory installs, which would make most mentions of PC installs go right back to what I said. I don't remember anyone saying they were against optional installs (which tells me there were few or none against those).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
@DMeisterJ: If someone actually said it that way, maybe you have a case...

However, the PC case is yet another one of mandatory installs, which would make most mentions of PC installs go right back to what I said. I don't remember anyone saying they were against optional installs (which tells me there were few or none against those).

There were.

I could sift through thousands of threads or posts, but I don't have the time for that. 

But most assuredly, that was the case.  No lie.

I guess for every person you found who was against optional installs, I could point you at 10 (probably more) who were just against mandatory ones... Hardly anything worth making a big deal about, probably just a few extreme people.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
I guess for every person you found who was against optional installs, I could point you at 10 (probably more) who were just against mandatory ones... Hardly anything worth making a big deal about, probably just a few extreme people.

Yeah.

Of course there's different sides to every spectrum.  And my experience could have easily been in the minority.  I have nothing against this.  It's a good idea to those who want it, but not a game-breaker, or any reason why any multiple console owner would own a game on either system.

DJ's shtick is getting rather old.

JaggedSac said:

...and yet it keeps getting posted, over and over again...

edit: optional installs = good. Mandatory installs = fail

installs that have clear benefits = good, installs that make an experience similar to one w/o installs(PS3 vs. 360 up until now) = fail

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

JaggedSac said:

What "schtick"?  Truth?

Well, if you want to hate on me for spreading the truth, then so be it.

DMeisterJ said:
JaggedSac said:

What "schtick"? Truth?

Well, if you want to hate on me for spreading the truth, then so be it.

The truth that was known since the day the 360 launched. Just how desperate are you to keep it repeating for the past 2 1/2 years over and over?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger