By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Recipe Thread

For all the people that like to cook or who are thinking about getting into cooking (I like to bake, just getting into actual cooking), we should have a recipe thread.   I'll go ahead and start with what I'm making now:

Tortuga Rum Cake
The Tortuga Rum cake is a vanilla sponge cake (I think that's what they are called) with Tortuga Rum baked in and then more rum put into the glaze.  Tortuga Rum really is one of the best tasting rums ever which makes this cake exquisite but sadly it's next to impossible to find this rum in the states (I know of two places, a place in Florida and a Sigels in Plano, TX) since it's made in the Caribbean in the Cayman Islands.  Luckily, Whaler's Vanilla Rum should work fine (I've never tried it but I've been told it works).  

Prep Time: About 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Glaze Time: 1-3 hours (depending how you do it)

Basic Cake Mix
2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into bits
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

For the Cake
1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1/2 Tortuga Rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Rum Soaking Glaze
1/2 cup butter (no substitute!)
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Tortuga Rum

For the basic cake mix:  Use an electric mixer on low speed to combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until the mix is consistency of fine gravel, and all particles are almost equal in size (takes a while since I have t odo it by hand).  The mix may be stored in a container in the refrigerator for about 3 months and makes about 5 cups of mix.

For the Cake: Heat the oven to 325 degree F.  Spray a large bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Sprinkle the chopped nuts into the bottom of the pan and move onto the cake mix.

Place Basic Cake Mix, pudding mix, milk, eggs, rum, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl and combine on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 2 or 3 minutes.  Scrape down the bowl halfway through.  Batter should be very smooth.  Pour into prepared bundt pan and level out top.  Bake until fully golden and tester comes out clean and came springs back -- about 55 minutes.  Remove from oven and place on cooling rack while making soaking glaze.

Rum Soaking Glaze: In a small saucepan combine butter, water, and sugar.  Bring to a boil carefully as mixture boils over very easily.  Reduce to a simmer and cook until sugar is dissolved and syrup combine well and a little thicker.  Remove from heat and add the rum to combine.

While cake is still cooking, pour hot syrup into and on top of cake.  There is a lot of syrup and if cake doesn't soak it up right away just wait a couple minutes and add the rest.  It will take time to soak it up.

Cook cake completely in bundt pan before turning out onto serving platter.

This cake is delicate, so once it is turned out, it cannot be moved around easily.  Can be eaten when fully cool, but it is better the next day.

Cake in mixing phase:

Cake when finished:

Around the Network

Not really a recipe, but Alton Brown is my hero! He's like the ultimate geek chef. I've made a bunch of stuff from watching his shows.