By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are there any PS3 tools to rip blu-ray on the PS3?

I know if I buy a blu-ray PC drive, I can rip files to make them portable -- i.e. watch them in the car, but can it be done on the PS3 with any Linux-based tools?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Bueller, Anyone?

I hate trolls.

Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Back to the top. A little more information about what I'm after: I'd like to rip a blu-ray documentary or two -- Planet Earth for example -- and downconvert to 720P AC3 or DTS. I want to be able to stream those ripped files from my PC to my DLP projector. I know there are tools out there to do it but I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm assuming I'll have to install linux to get the ISO first and then purchase some sort of software that will do the conversion... If anyone has a link or two that would point me in the right direction, I appreciate it. I'm not trying to pirate stuff but instead trying to use the content on a number of devices in my home including on a notebook computer when I travel so I have something to watch. Fair use allows me this, but copy protection has gotten to the point that fair use isn't so easy any more.

I hate trolls.