By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii still only as powerful as the xbox

"Wii is as powerful as Xbox"
Very easy to code for though.

FIFA producer Tim Tschirner has stated in an interview with Eurogamer that he believes the Wii matches up to the Xbox when it comes to power.

It's about as powerful as the original Xbox," Tschirner said. "The video hardware unfortunately is not as powerful. There's just a couple of key things that you can do on Xbox like shaders which you just cannot do on the Wii... Overall though it's pretty much what the original Xbox was."

Tschirner did have some positive things to say about the Wii though, adding that it is "very straightforward to write code for" and "from a creative point of view it's been awesome working on this platform because there's obviously stuff we couldn't do before."

That is from: http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=7902&sid=7803e98d557b4035a26acc69e6f0703f&title=%26quot%3BWii+is+as+powerful+as+Xbox%26quot%3B

I think this is a valid news item. It puts to rest the argument over how powerful the Wii is in comparison to last gen consoles. It was left out of the other thread that the Wii is easy to code for, which is important as well.

Also, http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=14365 gives a more complete account.   "Like most before him, he had positive words for Nintendo's attempts at market expansion and attracting new players. "That's a bit of a philosophy that we wanted to get into this game as well - that people don't have to be afraid of finding the control scheme overwhelming or overly demanding."

"And then on the flip-side," he concluded, "we wanted to make sure that long-term FIFA players would find everything they love in the game still in place.""

Around the Network

I can understand that its a valid news item, but why does it matter? Why does it always come back to power under the hood when the consoles are compared? Who cares if its only as powerful as an xbox?

Kytiara said:
I can understand that its a valid news item, but why does it matter? Why does it always come back to power under the hood when the consoles are compared? Who cares if its only as powerful as an xbox?
It's not important unless you lend importance to it, and judging by the current console sales, not too many people really care at all, and by now I'm pretty sure even "softcore" gamers and their next-of-kin know that the Wii is woefully underpowered in terms of processing capabilities compared to the PS3 or 360. But again, it seems not too many really give a damn.

Well if no one cares now, then why did everyone jump on me when I claimed that the specs showed this to be true? Now that a developer says it, everyone is content accepting the fact that the Wii is about the same power as an XBox1? One step at a time I guess...

Edit:  I think it is obviously making a difference because the Wii is missing out on a lot of multi-platform games because PS3/360 games can not be easily ported to the Wii.  This is the largest power difference we've ever had in one generation.

windbane said:
Well if no one cares now, then why did everyone jump on me when I claimed that the specs showed this to be true? Now that a developer says it, everyone is content accepting the fact that the Wii is about the same power as an XBox1? One step at a time I guess...

Not me... did I?

Around the Network
your mother said:
windbane said:

Not me... did I?

A lot of Wii fanatics did, I know that.  Oh, and I edited my post above...

Windbane, you and Gballzack got the last thread about this exact same subject closed for flaming eachother. Starting a thread on the exact same topic just because you got another thread locked up won't fly at all.

This thread is locked.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.