By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bad is MGS4 for the image of our hobby?

With all the threads praising this bombastic non game I felt maybe it was time to show its flipside.

But first have a picture of me with Kojima san at a Microsoft party a few years ago(we were both very drunk).

Subtlety is a word not in Kojima`s dictionary it seems as MGS4 once again bombards us with heavy handed cliche upon heavy handed cliche, retarded storylines that dont make any sense, overacting of the worst kind etcetera.

Are games like MGS4 ruining the image the outside world has about our hobby?

Discuss.

Around the Network

No, Kojima's games are the saving grace of a hobby that has been consistently degraded as childish and senselessly violent.

Kojima's games actually deal with adult issues and the in game violence (which is only optional) is always done so with reason. Themes of identity, free will, manipulation, memes and many others paint a distinctively adult, mature and inellectual picture over an otherwise unsanitized industry ridden with senseless violence and childrens fantasy tale settings.

once again bombards us with heavy handed cliche upon heavy handed cliche, retarded storylines that dont make any sens

It's a Japanese game what do you expect. One set of people praises Japanese story telling as emotional, inspired, creative.
Other say its rambling, full of pathos and often ridiculous.

One thing is for sure its completely different to whats the gold standard in western story telling. That said its not my cup of tea but if people like it ...

DTG said:
No, Kojima's games are the saving grace of a hobby that has been consistently degraded as childish and senselessly violent.

Kojima's games actually deal with adult issues and the in game violence (which is only optional) is always done so with reason. Themes of identity, free will, manipulation, memes and many others paint a distinctively adult, mature and inellectual picture over an otherwise unsanitized industry ridden with senseless violence and childrens fantasy tale settings.

Kojima is trying to be a Stanley Kubrick. MGS 2 is a fine example of that.

Huh, didn't ya had other Kojima and you pictures? Never saw this one before;.

PS: Does Kojima only smile when he is drunk?

Around the Network

yes. in the same way Akira Kurosawa destroyed the image of film with Seven Samurai.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Is Kojima Emo?

Rock_on_2008 said:
DTG said:

Kojima is trying to be a Stanley Kubrick. MGS 2 is a fine example of that.

And failing horribly?

konnichiwa said:
Huh, didn't ya had other Kojima and you pictures? Never saw this one before;.

PS: Does Kojima only smile when he is drunk?

Yeah I have more.

My wild hair is gone BTW, dont think you have seen me yet with short hair.

Spankey said:
yes. in the same way Akira Kurosawa destroyed the image of film with Seven Samurai.

WOW, just ... WOW.