By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Well A New Console Ever Show Up?

Relias said:
You know if Apple and Sega teamed up to make a system..... That'd be so awesome. Think about it. Exclusives like Sonic, Nights, Shining Force, Phantasy Star and Panzer Dragoon. I don't know as a Gamer that'd be hard to pass up right there. Let alone anything else they might get.

Only if Sega brings their quality up - a lot.  

Around the Network

I could see Apple buying/getting otherwise involved with Nintendo before getting involved in the market as a separate entity. They seem to match up well - I remember looking at my DS Lite next to the iPod and thinking how much they could have been designed by the same people.

Slimebeast said:
rendo said:
Apple will be the next company to join in. Now, they won't be joining for the CONSOLE gaming market, but actually the PC market. By creating a console system and with a lot of those games going Windows, they can get some exclusives and start getting support for MAC gaming, which is far juicier than winning a console war.

I don't follow your logic here.

Basically, they'd enter the console market to try and get more cross platformed games coming to MAC instead of just Windows alone.  More MAC support means more people interested in getting MACs, means more hardware/software sales for MAC which is where they'd profit more from than simply the console market.  That's what I was getting at.  I just lamed the wording.

If sega entered the console war again i would by there console

any new entrants would be foolish, the market only has room for 3 consoles at most, a 4th would be lucky to sell 10m Lifetime (see Sega Dreamcast - and they had good rep and market experience). 3 consoles is more than enough anyway, all have there pros and cons, a 4th would just incur either a market crash or fail horribly IMO.

IMO no one will enter the console market unless MS, Sony or Nintendo drop out, Portable market may have another entrant but only one.

Around the Network

I hope not. Multi-platform games eliminate the advantages of console hardware and adding yet another platform into the mix would reduce the rare exclusives this generation down to nothing.

Apple console. With Pixar software development. And a partnership with a reinvigorated Sega. Dare to dream.

No matter how large the market's expanded, it'll be hard to accommodate more than 3 consoles. One of the three companies have to disappear for a new brand name to appear. Otherwise, you'll have a 1983 style video game crash.

If a new company comes in, it's likely to be Apple, with their mind conquering multimedia products.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

I hope Apple makes a console next generation if they can do what the ipod is doing to music it would be no problem.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

It's funny how people say that the market "only has room for 3" when the market has repeatedly shouldered the burden of far more than 3 consoles before, with each one doing relatively well. Let's not forget, before the NES came along, there were dozens of home PCs which were essentially intended for gaming, and they coexisted more or less without a market leader (IBM had a bit of a lead, but it wasn't very significant by 1985). And for all their failings, even the 3DO sold 2 million units in an unfriendly market, and the Sega CD sold 6 million.

For the most part, the market has never shouldered more than three consoles that have done exceptionally well (such as the GameCube and XBOX still managing over 20 million units each even though neither was dominant). But this has far more to do with the lower-selling consoles all ending up being either too similar to existing systems or ending up being total nightmares to use (and quite frequently, both). A well-designed, truly innovative system with clever marketing and an actually useful gimmick to draw in previously uninterested customers is all one needs to enter the market.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.