By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Launches in Taiwan July 12

MontanaHatchet said:
trestres said:
Finally, the Wii will start gaining some ground in the "Other" Other's region.

That's the same thing people said about the Korea launch. I'd expect better from Nintendo fans.

Damage control at its best!

What the hell are you talking about anyways? Wii is selling a lot better than 360 and PS3 sold during the same time frame in SKorea. You sure hate the Wii and its success. We will have to wait until Nintendo releases the Wii on every country PS3 and 360 were released. This will only be possible with the increased production Nintendo themselves were talking about. So expect Wii sales to perform much better there once Wii launches in those regions aka when production issues are solved.

Not that Wii needs those sales, but still a lot of people that want to buy a Wii and don't have the chance.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
MontanaHatchet said:
trestres said:
Finally, the Wii will start gaining some ground in the "Other" Other's region.

That's the same thing people said about the Korea launch. I'd expect better from Nintendo fans.

Damage control at its best!

What the hell are you talking about anyways? Wii is selling a lot better than 360 and PS3 sold during the same time frame in SKorea. You sure hate the Wii and its success. We will have to wait until Nintendo releases the Wii on every country PS3 and 360 were released. This will only be possible with the increased production Nintendo themselves were talking about. So expect Wii sales to perform much better there once Wii launches in those regions aka when production issues are solved.

Not that Wii needs those sales, but still a lot of people that want to buy a Wii and don't have the chance.

Well, who said I was talking about Korea? I was saying that once the Wii launched in Korea, a lot of people were claiming that the Wii would gain a lot of ground in the Others region. Its weekly sales in the region (which encompasses a lot of different countries other than Korea or Taiwan) are only slightly higher than before.

And for the record, you don't think Sony and Microsoft faced supply problems in Korea and the rest of "Other?" Hell, Sony was so desperate for supply at launch that I'm amazed it even sold a measly 2k or so in the region. And Microsoft, despite probably creating an artificial lack of supply, didn't have much in the region either.

It's definitely going to have increased sales, but don't expect it to be a threat to the other consoles unless it releases in regions they haven't.

I projected good sales for the Wii, but I didn't expect Nintendo to release a gimped version of the console. So yeah, it was disappointing.

That being said it still sold relatively better than the PS3 or 360. Also, I'd bet that a lot of grey market systems wind up there which are then hacked.

FishyJoe said:
I projected good sales for the Wii, but I didn't expect Nintendo to release a gimped version of the console. So yeah, it was disappointing.

That being said it still sold relatively better than the PS3 or 360. Also, I'd bet that a lot of grey market systems wind up there which are then hacked.

Wait, how was it gimped? I'm sort of curious. Did they provide faulty Wiis or something?

The Korean Wii only played games region locked for Korea.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
The Korean Wii only played games region locked for Korea.

Wow, how many games are even released in Korea anyways?

That wasn't a very good idea...

@Montana: Korean is their first language, so it would be pointless for them to buy games from another region, unless they spoke a 2nd language. Although English must be kind of common there. So it makes sense for Nintendo to have released a region locked Wii for Korea, by doing that they are preventing a lot of piracy.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
@Montana: Korean is their first language, so it would be pointless for them to buy games from another region, unless they spoke a 2nd language. Although English must be kind of common there. So it makes sense for Nintendo to have released a region locked Wii for Korea, by doing that they are preventing a lot of piracy.

Yeah, English isn't too uncommon in South Korea. I don't know how that will stop them from just pirating the games released in their own region.

trestres said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18232

They are limited to very little games..........

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

@guild525: I know, but that depends on the devs, Nintendo is just making sure no one would want to pirate more games. I'm sure games are on their way being translated now seeing that Wii was quite a hit there.

The truth is region locks suck, but then it's Nintendo's and other 3rd party devs fault for not releasing their games simultaneously WW. I blame Japan mostly.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies