By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are we tolerating console game patches?

Of course I rather have patches then not but I would rather have developers putting the extra effort into the game before release and minimize patching which I think they are not doing today. Take GTA as an example, one of the greatest games this generation and it´s so bugfilled that I have to use bugspray in my room to be able to play this buginfested game. Alone in the dark is another game that would have been great and is great untill the bugfest begins. The list can go on...

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
Hawk said:
vaio said:

The ammount of games that have bugs and need patches have risen substantialy and I find that unacceptable, what about gamers that can´t patch because they don´t connect to the internet with their consoles?

Do you have some source to show the increase in need for patches?  Because, personally, I haven't noticed the rise in the need for patches.  Games have always had bugs, and in the past, they just didn't get a fix, like they can today.  Besides the fact, that as games get more complicated and advanced, there is going to be more problems.  The more something does, the more that can go wrong.  That applies to anything in technology.  The more complex, the more nuts, bolts, and gears there are, the more things there are to break.

Don´t need links just the share ammount of extremly buginfested console games are higher then ever. If you play games you will notice this.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

As long as people are willing to buy buggy unfinished games then that's what studios will produce. Unfortunately it's simple economics. Why spend months finishing a game properly when you can rush it out, rake in the money and then release a patch when you've got the cash in the bank?

vaio said:

Don´t need links just the share ammount of extremly buginfested console games are higher then ever. If you play games you will notice this.

Well, I do see more bugs per game than there used to be. But, there has always been bugs in about every game ever made. But, yeah, I guess then, overall, I see more bugs, yes. Which is exactly why I very much welcome downladable patches on the console. Because, like I said, more can go wrong with games today, they are far more advanced and complicated.

I don't have your view that in general, developers need to spend even more time on debugging the games. They spend more time testing games today than ever before. There are certain games that it was a bad decision to not test it more, just like there has been in the past. But I completely welcome the ability to patch console games today. I do think the downloadable content is getting a bit out of control though.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I wasn´t talking about forbidding patches, I was talking about developers doing a better job before releasing games. I ask this question again since you haven´t answered it. How about gamers all over the world that can´t patch (which is the majoroty of gamers in this world)?

Around the Network
Million said:
mesoteto said:

@mill----that has nothing to do with it, what it boils down to is people save a select few studios, are in rush mode to get the game to market, especially American studios

the same thing happens in the automotive industry, it cost more to delay a project to fix a small bug then it does to release a patch after it has hit the masses

I'll take your word for it if that is the case but regardless , your just going to have to accept it happens unless you going to base your purchases from now on based on how many bugs are in a game.

sadly that would limit me to very few, so unless i was to not game i have to grin and bear it b/c there are to few and far b/t gamers that will do somethign about it, but you cant tell me that its a disapoint ment when you freeze up after gaming a few hours and loose all you have done b/c some publisher told a test its okay we can fix it later with a patch

vaio said:
I wasn´t talking about forbidding patches, I was talking about developers doing a better job before releasing games. I ask this question again since you haven´t answered it. How about gamers all over the world that can´t patch (which is the majoroty of gamers in this world)?

Like I said, I don't share your view that in general, they need to spend more time on testing games.  Certain games, yes.  As it has always been, there are certain cases that they should have spent more time on testing and debugging, but not in general.

You can't tell me E.T. wasn't buggy.  Or that those people, who couldn't download a patch for their Atari 2600 game, were in any better a condition than gamers without online access today.

wow way to go and use the most extreme example in history.

My point of view is that the games released should be as bugfree as possible (most are but not enough of them) so gamers that can´t download patches doesn´t have to suffer which they do in todays gaming world.

ZOMG console gaming is becoming a lesser form of PC gaming GASP. It was bound to happen. Quit whining.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

::laugh:: Ok. How about Warlords then, for the Atari 2600. The bug where, in 3 player mode, it sometimes would not give out another ball after a score.

There have always been bugs. There have always been certain games that releasing them was rushed. Businesses are no more greedy than they used to be. It's not cost effective to play test a game to death until ALL bugs are gone from the game.