By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are we tolerating console game patches?

The Ryan Lambie column: Rough Patches

Why are we tolerating console game publishers releasing unfinished games and fixing them with a patch? The curse of the PC after-market completion is now, sadly, universal...

Ryan Lambie

If there's one thing that makes my heart sink when I fire up a game, it surely must be those three words 'searching for updates.'

For me, one of the worst offenders had to be the PC MMO Pirates of the Burning Sea, released earlier this year; after waiting patiently for it to install, I excitedly booted the game up and prepared myself for some serious cutlass/eyepatch action. Predictably, the familiar 'searching for updates' dialogue box appeared before I could begin playing, and I slumped gloomily into my chair. The update weighed in at a ludicrously large 700MB - the equivalent to downloading 20% of the entire game. Particularly annoying when it took Flying Labs about ten years to program the thing in the first place.

Don't get me wrong -  the ability to continue to make improvements to games after you've bought them is a sometimes a good thing; as irksome as they so often are, patch updates are understandable - and inevitable - in the strange world of the PC, where hardware combinations are so varied that it's impossible to cater for every potential conflict that may arise between a game and an exotic component.

Recently though, there's been a worrying trend; the patch, once a phenomenon peculiar only to PC gaming, is becoming increasingly ubiquitous throughout console land too - and this is where things get really annoying.

One of the positive things about consoles (and one advantage they have over the home computer) is that, by and large, they're all the same (they don't all have different graphics cards, sound cards, processors and operating systems, for example). Why then, are updates so common on the 360, PS3 and (to a lesser extent) the Wii? I could be getting cynical in my old age, but it seems like a cunning way of releasing a product only 90% finished.

Rockstar's Bully: Scholarship Edition for the 360 is a case in point - it suffered from random freezes, faltering sound and a jittering frame rate, leading some to suggest that the game was released unfinished and untested.

'I am horrified, and we are now working around the clock to rectify this situation,' a Rockstar spokesperson said in a statement. Or, in other words, 'oops.'

The PS3 version of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 had similar teething problems when it became apparent that its online mode would be unplayable without a hastily written patch. And even the Wii isn't safe - Japanese fans queueing up to buy the first available copies of Super Smash Bros Brawl were each given a slip of paper that warned them that it wouldn't work without an update.

To make matters worse, it's not unknown for these updates to cause more problems than they fix; one patch for Bioshock on the 360 caused a rash of stuttering frame rate issues for a number of players. Patches are frequently made to system software too, just to keep import gamers and hackers on their toes - a recent patch from Nintendo not only rendered Freeloader discs useless (a piece of software which allowed foreign games to be played on a UK Wii), but also put paid to an exploit that allowed files to run from an SD card.

In a way, it's surprising that we gamers aren't more vocal about the issue; in no other form of entertainment do you see this kind of after-market completion. It's the equivalent of going to the cinema, watching three quarters of a movie and being given a DVD-R on the way out with the ending on it. It's akin to buying a book and only receiving a photocopy of the final chapter through the mail three weeks later.

There's no point in complaining of course - with nearly all PCs and most consoles connected to the net, it's clear that the patch update is here to stay. And sometimes they're positive - a belated fix is better than nothing, after all - and can get rid of exploits that allow certain gamers to cheat (particularly annoying in online games).

But when we're supposed to pay anywhere between thirty and fifty pounds for the latest full-price game, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect it to be 100% finished and 100% playable.

Ryan writes his column every week at Den Of Geek: you can find last week's here

26/06/08

http://www.denofgeek.com/captainsblog/74969/the_ryan_lambie_column_rough_patches.html

This is a question I have been asking my self since the patches started to come to consoles, does anyone here have  a good answer to why we tolerate this?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

i dont mind patches that come from fans finding a need...like balancing weapons and making a spot run smoother

but patches that fix bugs are just palin old silly, this inst pc gaming

Oh My god, MMO like Pirates of the Burning Sea have patches !
And Nintendo is trying to stop pirates from hacking their games !

The world is ending !

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Well, we know is due to the introduction of the new technology, the complexity of the game gets bigger hence the number of errors and bugs increase too...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

As we advance into more complex game development we're bound to incur more errors.

Around the Network

I still think that console games should be made/finished properly before release and avoid as many patches as possible considering the prices we pay for the games and we have to take into account that not all console gamers connect to internet and are able to patch their game.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

@mill----that has nothing to do with it, what it boils down to is people save a select few studios, are in rush mode to get the game to market, especially American studios

the same thing happens in the automotive industry, it cost more to delay a project to fix a small bug then it does to release a patch after it has hit the masses

the online portion of games, need patches to keep multiplayer fair and exploit free, so that it ends up being fun for the end users.

^that is one thing, no matter how good the testers might be once you put it in people hands you will really find the loop holes

its another if half way threw a map the wall falls out if you have x amount of item b on you that is just sloppy coding

mesoteto said:

@mill----that has nothing to do with it, what it boils down to is people save a select few studios, are in rush mode to get the game to market, especially American studios

the same thing happens in the automotive industry, it cost more to delay a project to fix a small bug then it does to release a patch after it has hit the masses

I'll take your word for it if that is the case but regardless , your just going to have to accept it happens unless you going to base your purchases from now on based on how many bugs are in a game.