By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony the 'Greenest' of them all...

Galaki said:

source hardcoreware

check out the source, long report

This cannot be correct. The Ps2 averaged 30 watts, and the original Xbox averaged 75. How can the Wii use that much less than those? The Wii uses less electricity than a ceiling fan? That's just crazy.

If I remember correctly, the computer screens at my school use 12 watts in sleeping mode! Your television uses 50-80 watts too (and some use more than 200 I believe).

So this really proves something: The Wii has the power of a ceiling fan, while the Playstation 3 has the power of a freezer (or a low power consuming electrical grill)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

@Oyvoyvoyv: The evolution of electronics technology allows you to do one of the following:

1- Increase processing power while using the same or more electricity
2- Maintain processing power while using less electricity
3- Anything in between 1 and 2.

The PS3 and 360 are in category 1. The Wii is clearly in category 3.

The Xbox was a simplified PC, so not much surprise about high electrical consumption there.

When technology allows so, the 360 and PS3 will also use less electricity (you'll know when you see Slim models popping up).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Nintendo has no responsibility to release their production information to Greenpeace, who counts for little more than extremists at best and terrorists at worst. They are in no way an official environmentalist group and are not supported by any nation. They make actual environmentalists look bad. They sure don't help their situation by giving anyone who refuses to co-operate with them a zero. It's like a little kid pouting that mommy and daddy won't meet their every demand.  I love their quote in the article of "There is no choice" as if they mattered.

The only people they actually have to release production information to are actual government emissions standards testing groups, and considering they have to meet much stricter demands in Japan than in America I doubt they are producing anywhere near the average American electronics company emission levels.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Galaki said:

source hardcoreware

check out the source, long report

This cannot be correct. The Ps2 averaged 30 watts, and the original Xbox averaged 75. How can the Wii use that much less than those? The Wii uses less electricity than a ceiling fan? That's just crazy.

If I remember correctly, the computer screens at my school use 12 watts in sleeping mode! Your television uses 50-80 watts too (and some use more than 200 I believe).

So this really proves something: The Wii has the power of a ceiling fan, while the Playstation 3 has the power of a freezer (or a low power consuming electrical grill)

This graph needs to be quoted in order to see the real impact of the use of the consoles in the enviroment...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Since TVs were mentioned, I should say that LCDs use less power than Plasmas of the same size. Keep that in mind if you're about to buy a TV.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

yeah this is been covered so many times by them, they needs to get a new horse to ride....or well walk beside b/c that would be mean to the horse to use it as a beast of burden

ZenfoldorVGI said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Alright guys, to curb the inevitable, don't be hatin' just because Sony cares about the environment. I mean, let's face it. The environment is easily the most important thing in the world (well I'm sure you could name a bunch of other things, but they couldn't be affected by videogames).

That said, I'm sure Nintendo is skewed. They should just provide their stats.

Hello. My name is Iwata Plainview. This is my partner and son Miyamoto. If I tell you I'm an oil man, I think you'll agree. I've got a Nintendogs factory up and running in Keyote hills, that pays out 5000 dollars a week, and two more being built.

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed, especially the Playstation 3. I hate these "people" and their "Metal Gear Solid."

You have a Playstation 3 over here, and I'm across the room, wayyyy over here. Now imagine I have a straw. My straw goes alllll the way over to your Playstation 3, and now....yes Eli....I DRINK YOUR PLAYSTATION 3! I drink it up! It's called seepage! Seepage!

HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJ5 said:

Since TVs were mentioned, I should say that LCDs use less power than Plasmas of the same size. Keep that in mind if you're about to buy a TV.

Talking of TVs and 'greenness', Son'y new 32 inch LCD is has energy comsumption of about 85 watts compared to normal 125 watts...or soemthing like that

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=3&ContentID=80181

Hmm, pie.

This is funny. That would be like NPD saying we asked Walmart how many consoles they sold for the month and they didn't reply. So Walmart is the lowest console seller in the country with 0 units sold.

I mean how unprofessional is that to rate a company that prefers to keep things private. The other thing is they must not have tried that hard to get true data, because Nintendo provides quite a bit of information through shareholders report regarding recycling, etc. so even without the responses, I don't know how you could honestly say they are the worst company for the environment.