By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is a bigger Franchise? God of War or Animal Crossing?

You can look at this in several ways, but sales is the most obvious for "size".

1 Animal Crossing has been released on DS.

2 God of War titles have been released on Ps2.

These titles fight against equally strong oponents. Ps2 has a bigger userbase, but also slightly bigger competition.

Animal Crossing Wild World is the 7th best selling game on DS. As a system seller, it beats all below except for Phantom Hourglass and possibly Mario and Sonic. The title has sold almost 10M, and is still selling heaps.

God of War 1 is the 50th best selling game on Ps2. Alone, it is by no means a huge system seller, but nonetheless a partly system-seller. The title has sold 3.2M

God of War 2 is the 104th best selling game on Ps2. It has little power as a system seller, and sold only 2.11M

You could add the GC one, which sold 2.98M. It is the 6th best selling game on GC, and this game didn't even sell in Europe. If they had marketed it there, Animal Crossing GC could have been Zelda: Wind Waker size. Remember that this was also sort of the first AC (even though there was a N64 one, it was only released in Japan). In Japan, it is the 2nd best selling GC game.

So sales wise, God of War doesn't stand a change at all. This is almost like comparing Mario to Zelda. One sells great, but the other sells so insanely much more it's not even funny.

To put it another way, Animal Crossing is on par with Kingdom Hearts. Now, Kingdom Hearts is a lot bigger than God of War, right?

For quality, they're, as bleu-ocelot said, apples and oranges.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

holy shit, at 9 million plus Animal Crossing is the 7th best seller? DS is amazing.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

sc94597 said:
Strategyking92 said:
sc94597 said:
Strategyking92 said:
On the contrary, putting God of War on the psp was a great move. It helped the system, and sony got a hit game for their psp.

It wasn't a mistake, I'm just saying.
BTW* aren't animal crossing and GoW totally different games anyway?

It started with somebody saying sony won E3. And then soriku said no they didn't x franchise y franchise animal crossing are all bigger than GoW, and then Leo-J and others doubted him, and then soriku said make a thread about it then, and heere we are.

oh..... wth? so, I was on the pro-sony side? yuck.

Yep. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30660 It starts at the bottom of the third page and ends at the top of the third page.

I feel so... NASTY.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
Animal Crossing. One game in the animal crossing series out sold all in the god of war.

A game on DS, that's like calling Mario and Sonic a bigger franchise than God of War.

yes, it sold better, but is it a better game? Will it move consoles (a different console, nevertheless) and most importantly, will it get the hype it needed?

Do you often have these problems with reality?

Hey I can do this too, Shen Mue is a bigger franchise then God of War because urm, urm let me think here for a sec.

Because God of War stole the Shen Mue QTE.

leo-j said:
This is stupid, just because the HAND HELD GAME sold 9 million copies DOESNT MEAN ITS A BIGGER GAME.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=81

Its not A BIGGER GAME, its not A BETTER GAME.

God of war is AAA and will move consoles, ANIMAL CROSSING DOES NOT MOVE CONSOLES.

It didnt move DS hardware, or GC hardware.

WOW, so 3 million on a failed console is NOT impresive.

Given installed base differences God of War should have sold 15 million on PS2 then.

Did it?

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
sc94597 said:
SO the wii isn't casual enough now? Or is it only that the wii is casual when sony fans choose it to be? I would say yes it will sell well on a home console. The gamecube game sold 2 million , and that is with a smaller, and ONLY hardcore userbase.

how is... GC ONLY hardcore userbase? No, it's not as casual as Wii, but it's by no mean "ONLY' hardcore.

it sold "Well" on GC, but it didn't sell THAT well, to say it's better than one of the (if not THE) best game on PS2 is a joke.

it might win in sales number, but it fails in every other category when comparing to God of War.

Which doesnt matter when you are talking about which is the biggest franchise. You gonna tell us next that God of War is a bigger franchise then The Sims?

.Geenie. said:
Everyone is pwnd. like i said the only animal crossing that has done well is the one on ds but would have it sold that well if it ws on say gamecube, oh no wait it was lol

3 million units=teh fail?

kingofwale said:
Soriku said:
leo-j said:
This is so completely idiotic.

God of war is EASILY the better game, saleswise its completely trumped by the DS game.

This thread wasn't meant to compare the games to decide which is better, we're arguing about which is bigger. AC is definitely bigger. Just look at sales. End of story.

/thread

Really???? Bigger franchise has nothing to do with whether the games in there are good?

Oh, My mistake then.

Finally you are catching on.

Lolz five posts after each other =p...

damkira said:

God of War is a bit more popular, but whose to say with the next installments given the popularity of the Wii and the lack of interest in Xbox 360.

What does the 360 have to do  with this argument?

Why bring it into this discussion at all?