By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is a bigger Franchise? God of War or Animal Crossing?

weezy said:
sc94597 said:
GlingGling said:

Who popularly demanded this thread?

soriku

Edit: Well he said " Go make a thread that asks which is bigger AC or GoW and you will see how many people will say AC."

Ok, so now that Kingofwale is crying in a corner in the fetal position, wrapped up in a canadian flag like a tortilla...

Well he is banned now.

Around the Network

I logged on just to comment on this useless thread. The two games are completely different as they both target two different audiences. One targets everyone and the other either targets T for teen or M for Mature. That's my opinion. But If I had to chose one, I'd chose Animal Crossing.

Why?? Simply because the AC franchise sold more copies than GOW over all platforms and has been out the longest. They are both great games in their own right (fun, challenging, etc.), but since AC is for everyone, gives it the edge; as well as the other reasons mentioned above.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

ctk495 said:
weezy said:
sc94597 said:
GlingGling said:

soriku

Edit: Well he said " Go make a thread that asks which is bigger AC or GoW and you will see how many people will say AC."

Ok, so now that Kingofwale is crying in a corner in the fetal position, wrapped up in a canadian flag like a tortilla...

Well he is banned now.

Not because of this thread though.

Bodhesatva said:
makingmusic476 said:

I'd say GoW is the bigger "core" franchise but AC is the bigger franchise overall. And we all know which one matters in the end.

To the guys comparing handhelds and consoles, you can't really do that. Just look at Monster Hunter. It sells millions on the PSP and barely breaks 500k on the ps2.

Would Nintendogs sell 15+ million on the Wii? Hell no.

Some games are just better on handhelds. They're fun games that cater to a wide variety of people and are easy to play on the go. This doesn't always translate into great console sales. They "fit" on handhelds when they wouldn't do so well on consoles.

That being said, AC should still sell quite a few millions on the Wii.

I'm not so sure about the Monster Hunter example, MakingMusic. Not that this is a big deal -- as I essentially agree with your point -- but I think it's unclear if MH is big because it's been on handhelds or because the franchise has steadily grown in popularity regardless of its location (along the lines of GTA III -> GTA: VC -> GTA: SA). I suspect that both factors played a significant role. Look at the sales of this franchise:

Monster Hunter 1 PS2: .28 Million
Monster Hunter 2 PS2: .62 Million. Sales more than double.
Monster Hunter Freedom PSP: 1.41 Million. Sales more than double again.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd: 2.2 Million. Sales increase significantly.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd G: 2.31 Million. Still increasing significantly, likely to end up at 2.5 Million+.

While there definitely is significant growth as a consequence of being on the PSP -- I wouldn't argue that for a second -- you can see the franchise was already growing on the PS2. Which, again, begs the question: did the franchise grow because it moved to the PSP, or simply because the franchise was becomingly increasingly popular? I think it's a combination of the two.

Sorry to nitpick, Makingmusic, as I know you didn't mean anything by it. I've just gotten involved in too many "Wii MH3 will do poorly because MH is portable!" conversations.

Haha.  Don't worry, I completely understand where you're coming from, and it's a perfectly valid point that I overlooked.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
FJ-Warez said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
The Ds is a scapegoat because it is a generally accepted gaming machine due to price,games,acessability,etc.The same people who play a DS probably won't pick up a console controller,and it's hard to compare the two;DS games and console games.I don't see Pokemon or Animal Crossing games selling that much on a console.

Funny, the same thing can be said about the PS2, it was the accepted gaming machine, featured most of the games... still the GoW franchise didn't got help of the huge install base...

True,but I'm sure alot of people who owned a PS2 didn't have that many games to go with it,or you would see alot of 10 million copies sold for x,y games compared to the size of the install base.Handhelds tend to have higher software numbers because of acessability.The games are cheaper and thoroughly more enjoyed on a handheld than a console.imo

Well we know this is due to a couple of reasons (Like piracy and a very casual install base), but none of them point to GoW as the bigger franchise...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
sc94597 said:
ctk495 said:
weezy said:
sc94597 said:
GlingGling said:

soriku

Well he is banned now.

But still he must be sad since god war is losing against AC.

ctk495 said:
sc94597 said:
ctk495 said:
weezy said:
sc94597 said:
GlingGling said:

soriku

Well he is banned now.

Why would he be sad? I don't think he is the kind of person to get worked up by people over the internet.

I laugh at some of you people This isnt about comparing 2 similar games.

Its about which is bigger.

Clearly Animal Crossing is way bigger / more popular.

Its not GoW is a small time game(although Ninja Gaiden just called me and said GoW is for wimps) its just Animal Cossing is bigger

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

sc94597 said:
ctk495 said:
sc94597 said:
ctk495 said:
weezy said:
sc94597 said:
GlingGling said:

soriku

Well he is banned now.

Why would he be sad? I don't think he is the kind of person to get worked up by people over the internet.

LMFAO. Yeah, right.

I think thats the only reason he join this forum.

Your funny.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Kasz216 said:

God of War was horrible. When people say it has a good story it makes me wonder if they've ever read a book. I mean it's story is roughly on the level of "Hercules: The Legendary Journies".

I used to watch the hell out of Hercules, back when it was a series of made-for-TV movie specials, before it became the TV show. Some of the weeks it would be a different made-for-TV movie, like this futuristic Knight Rider spin-off that's like a cross between Knight Rider and Mad Max. I'm not really into that crap anymore, but I can still wax nostalgic and watch some crappy movies every once in a while, usually while drunk. I'd even get drunk and watch a crappy God of War movie if they had one. The problem is when they want me to button mash through a story, and keep me interested with animated breasts and a rhythm game to control some moans, reminding me that the game makers think I'm an idiot at every turn.

tl;dr version: I really don't see the difference between God of War, Devil May Cry, and Dynasty Warriors. Beat 'em-ups should be in 2-D, so they don't rely on stupid combos and "gruesome kill" moves, and are actually hard as hell instead of cakewalks.

Kasz216 said:

I'm not big on those sim like babysitter type games though. Even Harvest Moon i couldn't get into.

I'm not gonna sell you on Animal Crossing, or even try to. I just want to make sure you don't think it has anything to do with babysitting. For me the draw of the game is the fashion and interior decorating. You collect furniture and try to assemble a full set with a matching theme, and organize your house nicely. You get rated by this house decorating organization and compare scores. And you trade furniture with other people in town and online, and find some in the dump. Also, you can design your own clothes and put swastikas or dicks on everything (hence the friend codes), and you can put them in the shop, and if you're popular with your neighbors, they'll start wearing your designs. And then one of your neighbors usually decides to move into your friend's town when you connect on wi-fi, and they'll be wearing a swastika hat and a shirt with a dick on it.

tl;dr version: That sounds really boring when I write it down and read about it... but I swear, the multiplayer trading and crap kept it interesting for 3 months or so. God of War definitely doesn't have that replay value.

Point 1:  The difference to me is Dynasty Warriors is based off the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and Novel fairly faithfully... aside from silly things like Zhang He being an even more effemenite Vega.

Point 2: Interesting.  The Wii version might be worth a shot.  If anything I know my Girlfriend would like it.

However, how dare some jerks come into my house and rate it.