By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I assume the Metal Gear Solid Theme Plagarism video was real? (spoilers)

Link for those who never seen it

I remember way back everyone was saying it was just an April Fools, but I'm inclined to believe it was real.

Why else would the MGS Theme be missing from SSBB, and MGS4? Why else would MGS4 use this (also very good) theme (derived from a remix of the MGS Theme for MGS3) for important scenes in the ending instead of the MGS theme?

So yeah, I suppose it was real.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Around the Network

The video is real, but the two songs are quite dissimilar. Not only is the melody somehwat different, but the entire tone of the piece is drastically different.

Maybe the MGS theme composer used it as influence, or maybe the song happened to be running through his head one day when the MGS theme hit him. Or hell, maybe he didn't even realize that it was based upon another song (this has happened to me once before).  Who knows, but in the end the songs aren't close enough for anyone to take legal action against Konami. They used a remix in MGS4 for the same reason that the MGS2 theme was a remix of the MGS1 theme.

They would not be prohibited in any way from using the original theme in MGS4, and you can even find the original theme somewhere in the game to use on your in-game iPod.

The two songs do sound similar.

makingmusic476 said:

Maybe the MGS theme composer used it as influence, or maybe the song happened to be running through his head one day when the MGS theme hit him. Or hell, maybe he didn't even realize that it was based upon another song (this has happened to me once before).

^ This.

These kind of things happen a lot in music composing, heck even you could take some of John Williams compositions, and you'll find out that they sound VERY similar to other compositions... even more than the similarity on the MGS one.

makingmusic476 said:

The video is real, but the two songs are quite dissimilar. Not only is the melody somehwat different, but the entire tone of the piece is drastically different.

Maybe the MGS theme composer used it as influence, or maybe the song happened to be running through his head one day when the MGS theme hit him. Or hell, maybe he didn't even realize that it was based upon another song (this has happened to me once before). Who knows, but in the end the songs aren't close enough for anyone to take legal action against Konami. They used a remix in MGS4 for the same reason that the MGS2 theme was a remix of the MGS1 theme.

They would not be prohibited in any way from using the original theme in MGS4, and you can even find the original theme somewhere in the game to use on your in-game iPod.

The songs are VERY similar.

I find it hard to believe that they suddenly just toss out all parts of the MGS theme used in MGS1 and MGS2 (aka the parts that sound like the Russian song) coincedantly. The MGS4 remix ONLY uses parts from the original minutes of the MGS3 rendition, and does not include the signature (and apparently ripped off) part of the theme that is used so heavily through the MGS1 and MGS2 theme, and at the end of the MGS3 theme.

And why would it be not in SSBB? Why would they not include the MAIN THEME of the series? Because they couldn't. Or at least that's what I'm thinking.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Around the Network

I think if Konami were going to get sued for ripping off someones work it would have happenened before now. This MGS4 tune does sound very like it captures the main parts of every MGS remix there has ever been.

They probably didn't include it in Smash Bros because Nintendo didn't want everyone to know that Snake has a better theme song than any Nintendo character :p

Yes

ion-storm said:

I think if Konami were going to get sued for ripping off someones work it would have happenened before now. This MGS4 tune does sound very like it captures the main parts of every MGS remix there has ever been.

They probably didn't include it in Smash Bros because Nintendo didn't want everyone to know that Snake has a better theme song than any Nintendo character :p

The MGS4 remix DOES NOT INCLUDE THE MOST DISTINCT AND FAMOUS PART of the MGS1 and MGS2 theme, it clearly is just a remix of the first 3 minutes of the MGS3 theme :O

And the SSBB reason is ridicolous. :/

some parts of the melody are similar but you can hear that it's not a rip off. But in saying that, the instruments used some very similar.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil