By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get the PS3 or a 360?

Squilliam said:
polezo said:
I'm in the process of making this decision too, and I suggest you wait until E3 is over before you make any decisions. Personally, I'm leaning towards the PS3 right now because of Blu-Ray and LBP, but that could definitely all change in come mid-july. Banjo threeie could possibly bring sway me back to the 360, as could a number of yet to be announced products, of course.

Though I am sad that I'll be missing out on Halo and quality Valve products(though they did make the Orange Box for the PS3, left4dead is exclusively for PC and 360 atm, and Valve seems to have a better relationship with Microsoft in general), the PS3 seems to have enough quality shooters (KZ2, RFoM2) in the works to make up for Halo, and I've decided to get a Steam account for my Valve products.

Just one thing Polenzo. Whilst the shooters available are probably comparable in quality by the time KZ2 arives for instance, the variety and multiplayer options of shooters on the 360 will exceed the PS3.

If you like shooters, the Multiplatforms you get anyway are actually closest to the Sony exclusives in game type whereas with the Xbox360 tend to break the mold more.

If I had just one system - COD 4, Cod 5, MOH, Bioshock, are in a similar category to Killzone 2 and Resisistance 2. Whereas Halo 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead are all AAA shooters in DIFFERENT subgenres and they don't crowd around the same concepts all the time. I would miss the Gears of war and Halo 3, I could live without Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 because they're a little cookie cutter.

The games aren't even bloody out yet and you are already saying they are more missable than Halo 3 and Gears.

Fanboy much?

MGS4!

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
polezo said:
I'm in the process of making this decision too, and I suggest you wait until E3 is over before you make any decisions. Personally, I'm leaning towards the PS3 right now because of Blu-Ray and LBP, but that could definitely all change in come mid-july. Banjo threeie could possibly bring sway me back to the 360, as could a number of yet to be announced products, of course.

Though I am sad that I'll be missing out on Halo and quality Valve products(though they did make the Orange Box for the PS3, left4dead is exclusively for PC and 360 atm, and Valve seems to have a better relationship with Microsoft in general), the PS3 seems to have enough quality shooters (KZ2, RFoM2) in the works to make up for Halo, and I've decided to get a Steam account for my Valve products.

Just one thing Polenzo. Whilst the shooters available are probably comparable in quality by the time KZ2 arives for instance, the variety and multiplayer options of shooters on the PC will exceed the PS360.

If you like shooters, the Multiplatforms you get anyway are actually closest to the Sony exclusives in game type whereas with the Xbox360 tend to break the mold more.

If I had just one system - COD 4, Cod 5, MOH, Bioshock, are in a similar category to Killzone 2 and Resisistance 2. Whereas Halo 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead are all AAA shooters in DIFFERENT subgenres and they don't crowd around the same concepts all the time. I would miss the Gears of war and Halo 3, I could live without Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 because they're a little cookie cutter.

But if you had a PC (and he does because he said he'll get steam for his valve products) than your arguement is all null.

tombi123 said:
WRPG - 360

JRPG - PS3

Sports - same

Platform - LBP vs Banjo

FPS - 360

Unless you love certain PS franchise(s), I would go for the 360.

Where are you getting this whole PS3 superior for JRPG's thing?

Its essentiall two high quality (presumably) FF's and WKS versus about 7-10 decent JRPG's on the 360.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

jerseyboy609 said:
bigjon said:

Have some cash as of now, and was wondering what you guys would all suggest. I would like to see some of the pro and cons of owning each. Also, it would be usefull if one of you who own both could tell me which you prefer and why.

I like RPGs, Sports, Platform, Some FPSs(like COD or Goldeneye)

Well, IMO PS3 has the best overall games and game lineup for the future. On the 360, the variety is not as good...because most of the great games are FPSs. Also, ps3 has some of the best of each category: RPG: Final Fantasy series, Sports: MLB 08, NBA 08 (IMO 2k series is better for basketball), Platform: Ratchet and Clank series and Jak and Dexter Series, Stealth Shooter: MGS4 (obviously), FPS: Resistance, Resistance 2(upcoming), Killzone 2, and Socom...so I would go as far as saying the PS3 is just as good as the 360 in FPSs

The problem with you're RPG list?  You listed one title.

The problem with you're platformer list?  You listed one title that doesn't exist and another that was mainly a shooter.

At the end of the day, anyone that claims that the PS3 CURRENTLY has MORE variety than the 360 is slightly blinded to the realities of the current situation .

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Should you wait for a PRICECUT and new TECHPROCESS?
Yeah, i would.

Well, atleast E3`08, you should wait for some BIG announcements. =)
It`s SUMMER, come on. =) Unless it`s rainy day, forget about games.

And for rainy days, you should be fine with DS or PSP. Then in Autumn, with PRICECURS, with new BUNDLES and TECHPROCESS you will be able easy decide, what games you care more. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Hint: notice the part where the poster you quoted says "depends on what kind of games you like".

I'd take NG over MGS any day, I'd probably fall asleep during the cutscenes and wake up feelling stupid. Obviously, you feel otherwise, and that's fine.

Y,I see.Let me tell you why I don't like NG

There is too much blood in it....For that reason,I prefer DMC4 to NG2 in ACT game

2 word and 1 number
PS3

Respect for compans: SONY > NINTENDO >>>>>>>>>> MICROSOFT

XBOX360

If I were you I'd consider getting a Playstation 3. Lets run down a list -

Playstation 3 -
1. Free online. FREE online. FREE ONLINE. ALSO with next weeks firmware 2.40 will make the system up to speed with live.

2. Bluray. Enough said. If you have a HDTV, you will love it.

3. Quality exclusive games. Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword....... METAL GEAR SOLID 4.

4. Don't let the fanboys sway you, who say "The PS3 has no games." All multiplatform games such as COD4, GTA IV, Assasin's Creed are there.

5. Build quality is far superior.

6. The PS3 supports HDMI 1.3. That means the system has deep color capability, alongside, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS HD, both very high end features that are NOT found in the Xbox 360 since it only has HDMI 1.1.

7. Future firmware updates that will allow 3D bluray and 100gb bluray discs.

8. The Future is PS3.  On the horizon are: Little Big Planet, Socom, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, God of War III, White Knight Story, an EXCLUSIVE Tales of- Game, Final Fantasy XIII, and so much more. 

These are the games that you will be missing out on.  If they mean nothing to you, they will mean nothing to you.

Halo 3, Gears of War, Too Human, Fable 2, Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, Ninja Gaiden 2, and Left 4 Dead.

Console Agnostic since 2001.