By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A consideration on hardware losses

HappySqurriel said:

One of the common arguments that I have seen on forums for years is that Sony and Microsoft appreciate their customers more because they're willing to take heavy losses on hardware; and Nintendo is somehow greedy for breaking-even/profiting on hardware. The thing that most people miss is that you will pay the difference in hardware costs anyways ...

I don't think this argument is common at all...in fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone make this arguement before.

Around the Network

Regardless, the point is that no company is really more greedy than the other, and all the companies do care about making great games. Microsoft may have the least output of the first parties, but that does not mean they don't want great games for their system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Yeah, I've never bitched about Ninty making a profit on the games - because they have that money, they can afford to delay games (to make them perfect) and not cancel them (as is happening to the PS3)

Sony and Microsoft are both diverse multi-billion dollar corporations able to sustain huge losses in their gaming division in order to make a future profit and set industry standards so that their other divisions can profit from.

Nintendo is a game company only. They cannot spend the huge amount in R&D and absorb the huge losses that Sony/MS could. (or course Nintendo is rolling in money now)

Look at what happened to Sega. They were not able to sustain continued losses and had to drop their console in order to survive. Nintendo had to design the Wii so that it made a profit from day one. That is why they had to think outside the box when they developed the Wii.