By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo3 Awesome Community Screenshots

explosions are the most awesome part of the game. graphics wise.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:

Bungie did a fantastic job with the implementation of the whole replay system and fileshare system. The logistics of how they implemented the replays is insane.  It is not a video file, but a collection of all the controller inputs across the game's time.

Take a screenshot, it is uploaded to Bungie, you can put it on fileshare for other people to browse, you can send it to people. The only complaint is that they have to be viewed in Halo 3. Perhaps a way to convert to a video file if you wanted one could have been implemented.

Saving the controller inputs was very common in old games already. I think all of ID's FPSs do it to record demos (even Wolfenstein 3D, although that game had the demo recording/playback feature hidden, I managed to unlock it).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well with games like Wolfenstein there really weren't any physics to keep track of or lighting. There also was no y-axis to worry about. Starting with Quake I do not believe they have done anything like this. Especially over a network.

Now that I remember, in Quake all the server messages were recorded, not the inputs. Don't know about Doom because I never played around with Doom's source code. I'm sure about Wolfenstein 3D though ;)

The Halo 3 community features are very well done... It's a shame the same love showed to the multi-player aspect wasn't shown to the single player mode.

Around the Network

Well, I played a lot of online Quake(the original TF rocked fucking ass) and kept up with the community pretty good and I never saw any sort of functionality like the replay system that Halo 3 has. I could be wrong, but I never saw or heard of it.

Bungie knows that multi-player is what makes Halo.  I, for one, am glad they spent more time on online play because I knew that would be where the majority of my time with the game was spent.  I played the campaign co-op a couple times, it was alright, nothing special, and then I went onto the meat of the game.

JaggedSac said:
Well, I played a lot of online Quake(the original TF rocked fucking ass) and kept up with the community pretty good and I never saw any sort of functionality like the replay system that Halo 3 has. I could be wrong, but I never saw or heard of it.

It allowed you to record so called "demos" through a command, which were basically replays. It didn't have all the functionality of Halo 3's replays, but the basic functionality of recording playthroughs was there. Quakeworld allowed you to record demos of online games too.

That's how QdQ and other speedruns were made, by recording those replays.

^^Interesting, I am gonna look into this. What kind of speed runs were done online? Flag caps? Was it in engine, with all other players in the game?

JaggedSac said:
^^Interesting, I am gonna look into this. What kind of speed runs were done online? Flag caps? Was it in engine, with all other players in the game?

No, I meant the single-player speedruns like the ones at this site:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/qdq/

There are also plenty of sites with replays of games from famous tournaments.

Yeah, I was just looking at the site. Pretty neat. I was never into speed run stuff though. Can't believe I had no idea about this. Was it included in the other Quake games?