By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the 360 reached it's limit?

selnor said:
PooperScooper said:
Anthrasax said:
selnor said:
MikeB said:
IMO there's still headroom, but game engine design is about optimal. You can still perform assembler optimisations, a launch game like Kameo already used up 85% of CPU cycles. PS3 games will grow much faster and further, there are still a lot of game engine design gains to be made on the PS3 (moving PPE and RSX workload onto the Cell's SPUs). The PS3 is has a lot more horse power under the hood.

Also DVD is getting way too small (texture, audio quality sacrifices and/or game length/diversity sacrifices) and if you game has to run without a harddrive that's also limits some potential.

I thought Halo 3 would push the 360 near to its limits, but that was clearly not the case. I think Gears of War 2 will be that game.

I never listen to your fanboy rants anymore. Notice I didnt answer your post last night? Want to know why? Because since I've been a member of this forum, you have said that your a programmer, and have worked on games. I could maybe believe that. But then last night during another debate to do with controllers you said you were a Physical therapist. Funny how you have a profession in every topix that comes up where you have a debate. I laughed so hard when you said that I nearly dropped my coffee. Every last drop of credibility went out of the window when you said that. LOL I know what the B stands for in mike B now.

@Selnor

Might as well consider your words as valid to yourself. I've been around for months and I always catch some fanbot drivel from you time to time. (quite often to tell the truth)

Your new so im going to let you know. What selnor and starcrsraft did was trolling. They are just looking to cause trouble, and while doing so they completely derailed the thread. MikeB came in here to talk about the topic and he is allowed to do so. What selnor did was childish and wrong And I for one report both starcarft and Selnor. So lets not derail this thread and stoop to their level and get back on track.

OT: I have no clue

So what about reporting someone for derailing the thread in the first place. I'll give you a clue it starts with the Kameo using 85% of CPU bit. If that is not trolling WITHOUT eveidence I dont not what is.

And trolling. and 85% CPU is on topic. I dont see your point...

Around the Network

When blu ray becomes common on pc, the games that will be available on the pc will become amazing. Consoles cannot compare to high end pc's. Crysis requires a high end pc.

demon123, graphics are not bottlenecked by the media the game sits on. CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth and the like are the limiting factors.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

No but the size of the game does depend on this especially if you are taking up more space by using better graphics.

demon123 yeah, but that's another question entirely. Blu-Ray would allow for bigger games with more content, but do development budgets allow for much more content?

All the PS3 games which I heard use lots of space do so because of things like uncompressed audio, pre-rendered cutscenes and such things, not because they have more content than typical games in other consoles. Maybe there will be a few games to use the space for a lot of content, but not many.

Around the Network

Considering the 360 is a slightly pimped up xbox, comments saying it usually takes 4-5 years to reach the peak of a consoles ability dont apply here. If you disagree, compare halo 2 with halo 3. Difference in graphics?

Not really.

Graphically geow2 looks fractionally better than geow1, so id say there isnt much more to pump out of the 360

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Considering the 360 is a slightly pimped up xbox, comments saying it usually takes 4-5 years to reach the peak of a consoles ability dont apply here. If you disagree, compare halo 2 with halo 3. Difference in graphics?

Not really.

Graphically geow2 looks fractionally better than geow1, so id say there isnt much more to pump out of the 360

Bullshit.

The 360 has nothing to do with the Xbox in terms of hardware. In fact, it's closer to the Wii than to the Xbox as I said above.

demon123 said:

You need to have good graphics and a large game. The problem with 8.5 gb is that if you have very good graphcs like in COD 4 and are limited to 8.5 GB the game is short which is the case for COD4.

360 DVDs can hold up to 6.8 GB of game data.

@ Selnor

I will provide a source with regard to Kameo, but first I am watching a match.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

demon123 said:

I believe that the xbox 360 has reached its limit due to not using Blu ray. When you have 50 gigs you can use, you can do a lot more graphically compared to a dual layered dvd which only holds 8.5 GB. MGS4 has shown the difference that is made by having a large amount of space to work with. Games will get bigger and better and unless the xbox adopts blu ray, it will be limited.

Since when was the game medium ever relevant in graphics?

N64 - 64 MB (and that was only 1 games...most were 32 MB).
PS1 - 650 MB per disc and some games used up to 4 discs.
N64 looked better graphically.

GC - 1.5 GB per disc.
PS2 - 8.5 GB per dual layered disc.
GC looked better graphically.

PC - 8.5 GB per dual layered disc.
PS3 - 50 GB per dual layerd disc.
PC looks better graphically.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

NL5, MGS4 is the first game to use the 50 gb blu ray disk and yes it does take up a lot of space with cut scenes but the gameplay is also longer than normal games but this is just the start. Developers will begin to realise the potential and we will get longer games with great grapchis.