By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 95% of video game related degrees are useless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7460870.stm

There are now 81 different video games related degrees in British universities but only 4 are officially accredited by Skillset, the government body which monitors such courses. David Braben, chairman of Frontier Developments and a spokesman for "Games Up?", said: "95% of video gaming degrees are simply not fit for the purpose. Without some sort of common standard, like Skillset accreditation, these degrees are a waste of time for all concerned."

The games developers say that they are struggling to find in the UK the kind of high-powered mathematicians and computer scientists that they need to build increasingly sophisticated products.

"We are facing a serious decline in the quality of graduates looking to enter the industry," said David Braben.

"The dearth of maths, physics and computer science graduates is hitting us hard."

This just reiterates the fact that the classic subjects (Math, Sciences, History, English etc) are always the best subjects to take, no matter what career path you choose to follow.

Stay in school kids.

Around the Network

I'm taking a tough math class this summer to get ahead :D
Don't plan on going into gaming as a job though... lifelong hobby, maybe.

Shameless said:

This just reiterates the fact that the classic subjects (Math, Sciences, History, English etc) are always the best subjects to take, no matter what career path you choose to follow.

Stay in school kids.

History? The only job that degree can get you is professor of history or high school teacher.

I can't believe there's 81 different video game related degrees. I would love to see the list of these degrees.

WOOO Computer Science that's what I'm Majoring in....hmm...Maybe I should go to Europe if their demand for a computer science grad is so great

LOL well there is no industry and eduation standard yet except for computer science. However all the actual art and english degrees could be used in VG industry.

"Like you know"

Around the Network

95% of academic degrees are useless full stop. I've got one and can't even get a minimum wage job in this economic climate. People are being made redundant left, right and centre. The few jobs available are going to 16-18 year olds because they can legally be paid a lower minimum wage here.

I'd strongly recommend to anyone that with the current economic problems you're better off getting a job if you can because there aren't going to be many over the next few years. The exception would be if you plan to do a vocational degree where you get taught real skills like medicine, law, IT, engineering, etc.

hey who is that Asian girl in your sig? and why does she do that

Arcturus said:
Shameless said:

Stay in school kids.

History? The only job that degree can get you is professor of history or high school teacher.

I can't believe there's 81 different video game related degrees. I would love to see the list of these degrees.

Unfortunately it can't even do that here. You need to spend another year at university to get a PGCE in order to teach. History is always near the bottom of employment tables along with other academic stuff like politics, sociology, English, etc and "new" degrees like media and film studies. Top is vocational stuff like dentistry, medicine, law, engineering, etc.

You can see the list of video game degrees at ucas.com.

@Arcturus: History is a very highly regarded degree according to Cambridge, though I admit I don't have much first-hand experience.

@ferret1603: I'm suprised you say that. I can sympathize if you have an Arts degree as it is often harder to find a job, but Math/Sciences are in extremely high demand, particularly in London according to recent news reports.

Arcturus said:
Shameless said:

Stay in school kids.

Yeah, its not like the current president of the United States was a history major or anything... History is one of the easiest ways to get into law and politics. Although in todays world what field you have a degree in really doesn't matter unless its a specialized field. Nowadays people are just expected to have a college education, even though most jobs don't require one.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"