By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Mass Effect Allows Only Three Installs on PC

That's two more installs than Gauntlet allowed me back in the day.
My hard drive crashed on my 8086 (Amstread PC1512 with a 20M Hardcard installed) and the 5-1/4-inch floppy would not allow me to reinstall or play the game again.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
They just lost my purchase - at least initially and at full price. I'm a patient soul on PC - I'll pick it up when they drop the system a'la Bioshock which probably means at a much lower price as well.

Replace "when" with "if," and you've got it. Remember this is EA we're talking about.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:

So, if I buy Mass Effect for PC and for some reason need to install it more than three times, I need to contact EA and sit through likely an hour + of being on hold, just to use a game that I already paid money for and already own.

Yep, glad I purchased that there 360.

What are you talking about? You can install Mass Effect an unlimited times. The DRM only lets you activate the game in 3 different machines.

You know what's most ironic about this? It gives an incentive to pirate the game... After all, the pirated version doesn't suffer from this problem, therefore it will give you less headaches!

It's almost like EA themselves are asking you to pirate the game.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
You know what's most ironic about this? It gives an incentive to pirate the game... After all, the pirated version doesn't suffer from this problem, therefore it will give you less headaches!

Well, to be fair to EA, the pirates couldn't make a fully workable copy until like 1 week after ME was released.

Around the Network
shio said:
NJ5 said:

Well, to be fair to EA, the pirates couldn't make a fully workable copy until like 1 week after ME was released.

Lol that's another funny part... These protection measures are so terribly ineffective that I don't know why companies even bother anymore. I'd really like to see their reasoning for this.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

shio said:
Garcian Smith said:

So, if I buy Mass Effect for PC and for some reason need to install it more than three times, I need to contact EA and sit through likely an hour + of being on hold, just to use a game that I already paid money for and already own.

What are you talking about? You can install Mass Effect an unlimited times. The DRM only lets you activate the game in 3 different machines.

Not reading the article for the win.

The article clearly states that if you uninstall and reinstall the game, even on the same PC, it still counts toward the three-installs limit.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
shio said:
Garcian Smith said:

Not reading the article for the win.

The article clearly states that if you uninstall and reinstall the game, even on the same PC, it still counts toward the three-installs limit.

No, whoever wrote that article is completely wrong. You can only activate Mass Effect on 3 different computers, but each computer can install the game an unlimited times.

Spankey said:
starcraft said:
Buy it for 360.

I'm in two minds about doing this.

This activation sucks, but isn't the PC version enhanced though?

rock-and-a-hard-place time

PC version has no texture pop in and an improved camera, as well as a few other graphical enhancents.

To be honest the texture pop was not nearly as bad as people make it out to be on the 360 version. Dont get me wrong, it was annoying but it was easily ignorable in the grand scheme of things. I had more problems with the dam elevators and avoided them like plague, rapid transit ftw.

On topic: Crap like this makes me want to pirate more than ever. I believe in the concept of trust where both parties involved trust each other. But game companies again and again prove to have no trust in gamers so why gamers should try to prove them wrong? They think that we all are pirates then fine we are going to pirate. In my personal experience the tougher the security is, the more effort is put in by hackers to crack it.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3