By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Helghast are coming!

From the PlayStation Blog:

Killzone 2 Cover Story in the Mail

+ Posted by Mike Graham // Associate Producer, SCEA Santa Monica Studio

Hello, I just wanted to bring to your attention to something a lot of people have been wanting to see more of since last E3: Yes that’s right, new Killzone 2 coverage. We’ve got a big cover story coming up with the August issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly which should hit subscribers by the end of the week. Everyone else should be able to get their hands on it near the end of June/beginning of July on newsstands. The cover story contains a lot of great Killzone 2 coverage, including background on where the franchise has taken us, new gameplay reveals, as well as information about the developer, Guerrilla Games. Did I mention that this is also EGM’s official E3 issue as well?

Be sure to keep an eye out on 1up.com between now and E3 for teasers, interviews, gameplay videos and other KZ2 content. We will have a new screenshot teaser up on 1up soon, just to whet your appetite a little. Then as we get closer to E3, you’ll start to see more Killzone 2 goodness popping up, so keep your eyes peeled.

Around the Network

Thank god I have my free subscription to EGM.

You will be posting scans for the rest of us, correct?

I only have a subscription to GameInformer, so at least I can see the inFamous scans for myself whenever my first issue arrives.

@ MM

I'd love to, but I live in the stone age, I don't have a printer/scanner

i think the term "killer app" has gotten over used, it no longer has meaning to me, we need to make a new one....

how about

Killzone 2--the game that will make you want to club babies seal until you can paly it

Around the Network

Let's just hope this is better than the last time they covered KZ2:

Comparing a game with over a year's worth of development time left to a game releasing just two months later is idiotic, to say the least.

^that is just stupid, halo had some decent AI but still had brutes get stuck in spots and not even try to get cover, yeah for every one that would throw down the bubble shield and require me to crack them up a bit i would have one that would throw down the bubble shield, then walk over to a rock and say hey i am just going to stand in the open and kick back well hello master ceif please fill my rotten bodies with lead and stick a grenade on my face

Awesome news on that :P Any info about this over-glorified tech demo is a must have for me XD

Thats a terrible comparison they have there -_-; I though the A.I. in Halo 3 was garbage XD I had the same problems you did Meso :P I loved the guy standing behind 3 foot high concrete row-bar, just standing there.. .watching the sky... .... .... /throws grenade at face. Then don't even get into the ally A.I. XD

But anyway, I'm very curious to see how far the games come :P I think it's going to be aweshum XD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

OMG the ally ai--yes just b/c i am running up to smash the guy in the face means you need to fire your rockets at my back at teh same moment my fist kills him...that way he gets the most splash dmg

and lets not even get started on the driving...that same bump that i can jump no problem send the warthog into a spiral of doom that results in only teh marine driver surviving

1up has posted a preview of what is to come in this issue:

For all its hype, graphically stunning PS3 first-person shooter Killzone 2 has been something of a mystery since its infamous E3 2005 debut. But in the August issue of EGM -- shipping to subscribers now -- we finally take a look behind the curtain at exactly what this game will offer. In our massive 12-page cover story, Shane Bettenhausen gets to try the game out and is surprised at what he discovers.

Before jumping into the new game, we've got a round-up of the story and characters from the previous two Killzone titles, so you don't need to be left behind if you never played them. In addition to discussing the general shooting gameplay, we also had the first chance to play with vehicular combat via a powerful tank that will be at the player's disposal for certain sections of the game. And that's not all for weaponry -- we also compare the guns and equipment of the ISA (i.e. the good guys) and the Helghast (i.e. the bad guys).

On top of our hands-on time with the game, we also interview Guerilla Games and get their thoughts on the original controversial trailer, the delay to 2009, and how they got stuck with the "Halo-killer" tag that they feel doesn't really stick. Guerilla managing director Hermen Hulst tell us, "Killzone's always been a very different beast than Halo. So none of us really wanted to make that comparison." Nevertheless, they're hoping to polish their second attempt at a major FPS release in this franchise to the point where it can compete with the big boys of the genre, including Call of Duty 4. Will they pull it off? Check out our preview and decide for yourself.

The August issue of EGM should be hitting subscribers in the coming days, and it will be available at newsstands soon.

Could this be a positive preview from 1UP of all sources? :O

James "the Milkman" has also posted a preview of what we're going to see in his blog:

New issue of EGM should be hitting loyal subscribers any day now, and the polybagged version should be hitting newsstands so not-so-loyal single issue purchasers can get their copies about a week after that. The cover story -- cleverly titled 'Zone Defense' -- was written by Mr. Shane Bettenhausen, who I sent off to Amsterdam to report on tran-sexual hookers and hash bars and the PS3 game everyone wants, and not in that order.

What was really great about working on this issue was that Sony really came through for us, and for you the reader, in terms of assets. The cover, for example, was a collaborative venture, which they created based on our direct input. There's even a little easter egg on the cover art you might not notice at first. And the screens in the feature are kick-ass as well, especially the screenshots showcasing the game's tank battles and vehicular combat.

But my favorite piece of art is the opening spread, which Guerilla/Sony made as an homage to our Valve cover on 1UP. Whether you care about Killzone 2 or not, this image is hot, and the only way to see the full thing is in the new EGM, the magazine that cares about how shit looks.