By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So how long as Firefox 3 been out?

And is anyone else using it? :P What are some of the changes? ^^ I like the look of it sure but whats the meat of the browser :3

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

It went live yesterday. Go download it and be part of the world record!

ChronotriggerJM said:

And is anyone else using it? :P What are some of the changes? ^^ I like the look of it sure but whats the meat of the browser :3

The changes are almost all having to do with CPU and memory usage.  FF2 has had huge memory fragmentation issues, as well as memory leaks.  FF3 is switching to jemalloc to allocate memory in order to reduce fragmentation, and have rewritten vast parts of the code to decrease memory usage and leaks.  I've been running the release candidates and betas, and as of RC1 I have yet to have to restart it due to memory leaks.

It also has an improved Javascript interpreter, wchich in my casual use means approximately 2/3 to 3/4 the CPU usage in most javascript intensive sites, so that's pretty good.

It also has better standards compliance, a new UI, and a mySQLite backend for history (HUGE speed improvements due to this if you use your history).

Basically, it puts the 'lightweight' back into FF2, which was bloated as heck.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I'm using it now. The feel is a bit different. The speed difference is noticeable. Good job Mozilla!

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Nice :) Yeah I'm liking it so far :P Although I get this stupid javascript error every time I boot it XD It does seem noticeably faster though ^_^

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
Nice :) Yeah I'm liking it so far :P Although I get this stupid javascript error every time I boot it XD It does seem noticeably faster though ^_^

1) What error?

2) Do you have any extensions?

3) Linux (Distro?), OS X (10.3, 4, 5?), or Windows(XP, Vista?)?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

When you upgrade, does it automatically include the add-ons? Some of which I couldn't live without.

Umm no extensions, windows XP, this error...

Exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040154 (NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED) [nsIRDFService.GetDataSource]" nsresult: "0x80040154 (NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://isearch/content/isearch.js :: :: line 93" data: no]

I don't speak computer >

Sorry to go a bit off topic guys, but what exactly do add-ons do? And are they REALLY that useful? Can anyone recommend me some and maybe a brief description of what they are o.O?

ChronotriggerJM said:
Sorry to go a bit off topic guys, but what exactly do add-ons do? And are they REALLY that useful? Can anyone recommend me some and maybe a brief description of what they are o.O?

Styles which does gives diffrent looks and stop block ups on sites.

Download Helper very easy to get youtube vids.

Piclens Its just cool you'll see...

Former something....