By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Once the PS3 reaches $299

largedarryl said:
Bodhesatva said:
Kasz216 said:

Infact PS2 tracks right by Sega Saturn, which was pricey.

Which when you compare Saturns sales in Japan is very important.

First year Sega Saturn sales... 1 Million.

Second year total 4 Million.

Which is... a 300% increase in Japan.

So it does have historical precedent.

By year 3... it was at 5 Million in Japan.

That's a 200% increase, by the way. Otherwise, good point.

Not to be nit picky, but it's still 300%.  (1 * 300% + 1 = 4)

No, I was right, the OP is just phrased akwardly. It's ~1.2 million at the end of year 1, ~4 million at the end of year 2.

So it sold ~3 million in year 2. So it increased 200%.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

That's 233%, but I didn't actually attempt to verify Kasz's numbers. I only made the calculation from what he posted.

Bodhesatva said:
Sky Render said:
Actually, Bodhesatva, third place contenders rising to second place is not unprecedented. In fact, it happened just last generation: the XBOX surpassed the GameCube, in spite of the GameCube's early lead on it. Granted, that happened much faster, but it was the same basic effect.

Rising to second place wasn't the part that I considered unprecedented: tripling sales is. Xbox passed Gamecube as a turtle passes a snail: the Xbox slowly but gradually outsold it.

By contrast, the PS3 has tripled its sales in a single region YoY, and doubled its sales YoY in another (Japan, not so much). The Xbox and particularly the Gamecube experienced stagnant sales worldwide by this time in the generation; the PS2 was on its way up, while the Xbox/GC were dwindling downwards, as the winner became clear. This time, the Wii is on its way up... and the PS3 is on its way up, too. That is unusual.

i agree.. this generation is very different.. it also comes to effect that the society is now different then what it used too.

You can't count the trippelicious out just yet :P .. the market shows quite the contrary actually.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Bodhesatva said:
Sky Render said:
Actually, Bodhesatva, third place contenders rising to second place is not unprecedented. In fact, it happened just last generation: the XBOX surpassed the GameCube, in spite of the GameCube's early lead on it. Granted, that happened much faster, but it was the same basic effect.

Rising to second place wasn't the part that I considered unprecedented: tripling sales is. Xbox passed Gamecube as a turtle passes a snail: the Xbox slowly but gradually outsold it.

By contrast, the PS3 has tripled its sales in a single region YoY, and doubled its sales YoY in another (Japan, not so much). The Xbox and particularly the Gamecube experienced stagnant sales worldwide by this time in the generation; the PS2 was on its way up, while the Xbox/GC were dwindling downwards, as the winner became clear. This time, the Wii is on its way up... and the PS3 is on its way up, too. That is unusual.

i agree.. this generation is very different.. it also comes to effect that the society is now different then what it used too.

You can't count the trippelicious out just yet :P .. the market shows quite the contrary actually.

See the Sega Saturn.

If by this time next year the PS3 hasn't fallen off sales wise. Then you can say differently. As such however it's currently trending just like the Saturn.

Ok first year... awesome second year... third year drop.

The PS3 does have one advantage that other consoles in last didn't have though.

Blu-ray... not from a "Hey blu-ray is cool lets buy it" type way...

But a "retailers have invesed heavily in blu-ray but it's not living up to it's perdicted sales potential."

The PS3 is a good way to move blu-ray players so it will get more retail support then other consoles in it's place.

I mean look at the quasi $100 pricecut Wal-mart gave it and other players.

Though that didn't look like it increased sales much.

$299 and games like GT5 , FFXIII, LBP, and Release of home would see a huge increase in hardware sales esp Japan, Price is a really important factor for god sake if PS3 launched at $199 it would of sold like crazy

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
$299 and games like GT5 , FFXIII, LBP, and Release of home would see a huge increase in hardware sales esp Japan, Price is a really important factor for god sake if PS3 launched at $199 it would of sold like crazy

And Sony would have also declared bankruptcy.

I also don't think Japan is a very price sensitive market, imo.  They do tend to spend large amounts of money on new trendy technology, but they are really size, image and power conscientious (again entirely my opinion on Japanese culture).

Slim version of ps3 at 299$ this Christmas would be just PERFECT.
Still, 299$ costing ps3 with Full BC this Christmas will do Mircales.
Overall, the real BOOST will be after FFXIII release.

p.s. first gameplay of FFXII was show half a year before the release, FFXIII rumoured to be shown on E3`08. =)

Anyway, PS3 will DOMINATE

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

leo-j said:
No comment, I know 90% of the people here will bring up the GC and PS2 argument, then claim that the wii is more popular.

No comment, I know 90% of the people here will bring up historical data that supports the present scenario, and then claim that just because the Wii is selling more that more people are buying it.

I hope it, or any other blu-ray player comes down in price so I can get without feeling anally raped.

largedarryl said:
blazinhead89 said:

And Sony would have also declared bankruptcy.

I also don't think Japan is a very price sensitive market, imo.  They do tend to spend large amounts of money on new trendy technology, but they are really size, image and power conscientious (again entirely my opinion on Japanese culture).

im just hypothetically thinking and trying to get across my point that price is a major factor