By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu reports : Nearly 500,000 for Metal Gear Solid 4 in Japan.

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:

Yeah, globally... So, globally, how many Wiis and PS3s do you think will be sold in November+December this year?

PS: How can you be "so far correct" on a prediction which relates to a period of time which didn't start yet?

I would have been wrong if the PS3 would be significantly outselling the Wii ahead of anticipation.

We wouldn't want that to happen, would we?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
NJ5 said:

Yeah, globally... So, globally, how many Wiis and PS3s do you think will be sold in November+December this year?

PS: How can you be "so far correct" on a prediction which relates to a period of time which didn't start yet?

I would have been wrong if the PS3 would be significantly outselling the Wii ahead of anticipation.

We wouldn't want that to happen, would we?

Depends on the short term costs for Sony, if they also sell way more Bravia HDTVs, more Blu-Ray movies, HD audio equipment, etc and does not completely stall PS2 hardware and software sales it would IMO be good.

But I think the PS3 should not sell too much until the hardware costs are brought down and mass appealing games like Gran Turismo 5 or Final Fantasy XIII are available. The software profits can then compensate investment costs.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

It looks like PS3 this week will outsell 360 by 200k world wide. With next shipment 80gb bundles it may well outsell by 150k next week also.

starcraft said:
MikeB said:

@ starcraft
I am very happy with Nintendo's great performance with the Wii, but I don't see it stand in the way of the PS3's long term strategy at all. The PS3 wasn't designed to sell at Wii levels anyway, that would be far too costly early on in the game.

The 360 is much more geared towards a similar gaming experience, but IMO the PS3 is far better specced despite what some early 360 to PS3 porting issues and what this suggest to you. I also applaud third parties going multi-platform for games where it makes sense (due to Blu-Ray, Cell, default harddrive or motion sensing controls) and does not translate into sacrifices regarding the PS3 version like for the upcoming Ghostbusters game, IMO it would have been better for that game to be PS3 exclusive.

Better for who?  Sony?  Or for the consumers that would be forced to buy a very expensive console to play Ghostbusters?

At the end of the day, Sony produced a system that is economically unsustainable for all but the largest of publishers to produce on exclusively, and shoe-horns in an expensive media device that has thus far proven unnecessary for large scale high definition games, the cost of which must now be borne by gamers rather than the industry or film consumers.

You've simply jumped on the bandwagon of PS3 fans that have switched from "PS3 will dominate" to, "PS3 will dominate, but Wii doesn't count."

It is OBVIOUSLY in direct competition with the Wii, and it is failing.

ok starcracft whats worse, realeaing at the same time with a $350 difference ( of course wii will sell more with this advantage) or releasing a year earlly and being overtaken by the wii? thats what i thought

and you said it yourself starcraft. This isnt the thread. u always put a negative spin on anything sony related. why? Jealous

Around the Network

and you said it yourself starcraft. This isnt the thread. u always put a negative spin on anything sony related sucess . why? Jealous

MikeB said:

@ starcraft

Better for who? Sony? Or for the consumers that would be forced to buy a very expensive console to play Ghostbusters?

The PS3 will eventually have a much bigger install base and lower entry pricing. IMO a more impressive version of Ghostbusters would be better for consumers, if the publisher/developing company doesn't have to deal with some sort of financial issues.

Sony produced a system that is economically unsustainable

The install base will increase like you can see at a healthy pace and production costs will come down further through improved middleware, this roadmap is perfectly sustainable for Sony. Creating simpler games distributed on the PSN is a cheap alternative for smaller companies. PS3 owners expect much more from full price Blu-Ray releases, a Wii or PS2 like game would be (rightly so) unacceptable.

proven unnecessary for large scale high definition games

Games will become far more demanding in the upcoming years, you don't make such judgements this early in a console lifecycle. Those tapping into the potentials and those devs who complain about the 360 specifications, see the value in the long term potential of the default harddrive and the default Blu-Ray drive. Some multi-platform developers complain about the CPU differences between the PS3 and 360, but all acknowledge the Cell is potentially far more powerful just like IBM the manufacturer of both chips also underlines. IMO they have themselves to blame, taking the easy route early on isn't always the better route for the long run.

It is OBVIOUSLY in direct competition with the Wii, and it is failing.

Do you really think those who bought a Wii would have flocked en masse to the PS3 if there was no Wii? I don't think so and even if that would be the case, Sony would not have produced enough hardware to meet demand.

The PS3 will have a lower entry price, the much larger install base idea is very much up in the air.  Certainly it will never be as big as the Wii's, or significantly larger than the Xbox 360's.  I agree that a more impressive version of Ghostbusters would be better for consumers.  But history tells us this is just as easily done on the Xbox 360 exclusively.  Not only would the game be more impressive (presumably) than a multiplatform title, but the publisher would stand a higher chance of significant profit versus PS3 exclusivity which would involve a lower attach rate and higher development costs.  In the end, damage to a publisher results in lower quality titles for consumers.

The roadmap hasn't proved sustainable for Sony so far.  Finance-wise, Sony has proven to be the Microsoft of this generation.  They are too this day losing substantial amounts on the PS3 hardware.  When combined with the knowledge the PS3's tail won't be nearly as prolonged or successful as the PS2's, it becomes unlikely that the PS3 will be a profitable console overall.  Never mind the damage the console has done to many smaller developers that have been forced to succumb to acquisitions.  To a smaller extent, the Xbox 360 has been guilty of that same sin, though it mitigates it to a large extent through ease of development and ease of cross-development with PC.  The greater relative success of Xbox Live Market Place relative to PSN, and the strong launch of Wiiware, make these platforms more enticing for small, indie developers.  Given the Wii has an equal number of titles above 90% on Metacritic to the PS3 and it DIDN'T have the benfefit of the doubt from third-party developers the PS3 had (and quickly lost) early on, I don't think its at all reasonable for you to say Sony fans clamouring for games would deem Wii quality titles unacceptable.

Actually, "taking the easy route" is all that allowed some developers to survive Sony's flawed business model.  Your talking as though domination of the industry is something Sony is entitled to, and that developers that haven't jumped at the opportunity to struggle with complicated hardware with the mildest of power advantages and huge financial pitfalls are simply naughty little boys and girls that didn't play by Sony's rules.  At this stage, the PS3 has already seen the limitations of its inferior graphics chip, small amount of RAM and insufficient Blu-Ray drive speed (even 3 or 4x would have GREATLY mitigated this problem).  At the end of the day, you still make the fundamental flaw of assuming third-party developers have the incentive to fully tap the PS3's potential like they did the PS2 (but didn't the Gamecube or Xbox).  That is simply not the case.  The PS3 is third, it will never be a meaningful second.  It can only ever hope to be viewed by third-parties as a platform homogenous with the Xbox 360.  The Xbox 360's substantial lead in NA ensures it will always be a necessary platform for Western developers making HD games, and Japanese developers are all either going to the Wii or being bought by Microsoft.  Once Microsoft stops paying for exclusives from Japan (which may never happen.  I thought they'd given up before SO4 and Last Remnant timed-exclusivity were announced) all Japanese games of note that weren't already in development for PS3 will go to the Wii.

If the Wii didn't exist, overall next-generation console sales would have been much slower, due to poor pricing strategies from Sony and Microsoft.  Microsoft would have taken many, many consumers from Sony due to the price differential, and many people would have held onto their PS2's much longer until the PS3 and Xbox 360 got cheaper.  However, the PS3's prospects would be FAR stronger, whilst the industry as a whole would be FAR weaker.

If you choose to respond, stop cherry-picking and properly engage with my arguments, rather than ignoring that which you struggle to refute.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

ps3 may hit 300k this week, if this data is correct. so i guess mgs4 is a system seller after all.

wow, that's a lot of hardware sold for a dead system.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

starcraft said:

If you choose to respond, stop cherry-picking and properly engage with my arguments, rather than ignoring that which you struggle to refute.

I would love for that to happen, but this is MikeB we're talking about here. He'll never stop cherry picking, and as far as he's concerned he's never wrong. Trying to convince him of anything is like trying to make a wall bend by screaming into it. If you call him on something, he'll accuse you of "cheapshotting" him, and go back to whatever he was saying until you're out of the thread. Then he wins.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957