By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - wii sales end of 2008

leo-j said:
superchunk said:
Basically what "Garcian Smith" said except the part the 50m is out of the question.

He is forgetting that the Wii's WW average has been increasing since supply has been increasing over the last few months and that will that increased supply Wii's holiday this year will definitely be bigger than last.

I believe Wii will have low of 48m and a high of 54m by end of 2008.

You cant just assume its going to be supply constrained forever. There are chances it wont even hit 40million, you have to look at the possibilities.

True, anything can happen, like wizards can fly out of my butt.

But the chances of the Wii not hitting 40 million by the end of the year are just as likely as the PS3 selling 40 million by the end of the year.

Around the Network

The Wii will have sold no less than 42 million by the end of the year.

Supply however, cannot be higher than 44/45 million, so there is zero chance it will hit 50 million.

42mil

Well demand for the Wii isn't going to remain constant, that's for sure.

It's going to explode for the holidays with Wii Fit leading the way.

Don't forget that holiday sales are much bigger than the rest of the year.

sparda2020 said:

Hey people i read in some of the threads that the wii should hit 50 million units sold at the end of the 2008 but itz only at 27.5 million and more than half of the year has gone by...those people that said that it will reach 50 million or even 45 million and please state your reasons...imo supply has not met demand yet but im pretty sure the wii will meet 40 million

Is it just me, or has it seemed that anytime I have gone to Walmart/Toys R Us/ Eb Games in the past 2-3 there have been several Wii's available?

I don't follow up on this stuff that much, but have they upped the supply lately?

pearljammer said:
sparda2020 said:

Hey people i read in some of the threads that the wii should hit 50 million units sold at the end of the 2008 but itz only at 27.5 million and more than half of the year has gone by...those people that said that it will reach 50 million or even 45 million and please state your reasons...imo supply has not met demand yet but im pretty sure the wii will meet 40 million

Is it just me, or has it seemed that anytime I have gone to Walmart/Toys R Us/ Eb Games in the past 2-3 there have been several Wii's available?

I don't follow up on this stuff that much, but have they upped the supply lately?

i guess in some parts the demand is met or people still think that the wii is sold out everywhere and don't bother to look...but in Toronto almost everywhere i go the wii seems to be sold out a few days after the stores receive a shipment

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Garcian Smith said:

"More than half of the year has gone by?" Um... it's only mid-June. That leaves six and a half months, which, unless I'm mistaken, means that less than half of the year has gone by.

For a comparison, though: let's assume that Wii sales reach 28 million this week, or close to it. That means that about 9 million Wiis have been sold worldwide in five and a half months. That averages out to about 1.6 million Wiis a month. Without the holiday boost, if sales trends continue, the Wii would sell another 10.6 million units, putting it at about 38.6 million.

Now, from Black Friday to Christmas last year, the Wii sold about 4 million units, putting it above the 1.6 million mark by about 2.4 million. Add that to our 38.6 million number, and the Wii is guaranteed to sell at least 41 million units by the end of this year.

However, that's if current trends continue. If a price drop occurs, or if Nintendo fixes the supply issues, or if demand for the console increases over last year, then we could see sales up to 45 million.

I will agree that 50 million is out of the question, but 41-45 million in 2 years is quite impressive.

5 and a half months.. there are only 12 months in 1 year.

If demand holds it will hit 39million at the least by the end of the year.

July

august

September

October

November

December

+ half of June

= 6.5 months.

DO up 2 40 mil pepole want a Wii at the moment, thats the question

obieslut said:
DO up 2 40 mil pepole want a Wii at the moment, thats the question

What a stupid question.

leo-j said:
superchunk said:
Basically what "Garcian Smith" said except the part the 50m is out of the question.

He is forgetting that the Wii's WW average has been increasing since supply has been increasing over the last few months and that will that increased supply Wii's holiday this year will definitely be bigger than last.

I believe Wii will have low of 48m and a high of 54m by end of 2008.

You cant just assume its going to be supply constrained forever. There are chances it wont even hit 40million, you have to look at the possibilities.

I don't understand what link their is to being supply contrained and being able to sell 40 million. You act like once supply is straightened out sales will just drop. That hasn't happened in Japan, hasn't happened in Others, and hasn't happened to any console ever, including the PS2 which has supply issues the first few months after the Europe and America release, nor has demanded fallen for the PS3 and 360 even though they don't have any supply issues. If demand wasn't enormously high, then the Wii wouldn't sell like it did. It would sell more like the PS3 and 360 do.

And obieslut, I don't even know how to respond to that. I think Rath did a pretty good job though.

60 million by 12/31/08