By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I hope Gears 2 and CoD5 have longer campaigns.

Griffin said:
SpookyXJ said:

I have to say people over hype the importance of live. Currently there are 1,124,091 individual accounts associated with COD4 on live. Compare that to the 6.8 million in sales the 360 version of the game has accumulated. Now take in to account multiple gamertags per system and silver memberships. So thats about 5.6 million owners left after a short campaign going WTF thats all there is? I gues I better gets some friends together to play split screen if I want my moneys worth. There are a lot(close to half) of 360 owners out there that dont use live at all.

Are you sure thats not just players in the last 24hours who played the game.  Becasue on the PS3 version our scores list goes well above 2mil accounts.  Add in about 250k at the very max for double accounts or what ever and it looks like most people like to play the game online.

No I'm not sure. I'm using mygamercard rankings. I thought they tracked all live users scores silver and gold. Seems kinda usless to have global rankings if it only covers the last 24 hours. Anyone know for sure?

I've got live silver. Had gold for about six months and canceled it was not pleased with the service. Id still play online if it were free. As it is all my online gaming is PC.

Around the Network

Yeah, Resistance 1 & 2, KZ2, and MGS4 all have/will have more beefy single player campaigns than the half-assed Gears of War. 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Yeah, Resistance 1 & 2, KZ2, and MGS4 all have/will have more beefy single player campaigns than the half-assed Gears of War.

And they will all have shittier multi-player.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Uh, okay. Good for them.

I still had a lot of fun playing Gears. It was more fun than RFoM, that's for sure. MGS4 is an entirely different experience so it's unfair to compare the two.

So, you're comparing a 2006 game to two unreleased games you really know nothing about.

Not to mention that Gears 2 will be out by then... 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

DTG said:
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
What Gears 2 needs is a far better realized story. The plot of Gears 1 was extremely generic and if it was in the form of a film or novel it would be the laughing stock of critics and audiance alike. They hired a professional writer this time to achieve that goal but from what I have seen and heard so far it doesn't appear to much improved over it's predecessor. Though not much is known at this time so my opinion could obviously change.

I think the Gears story did a decent enough job of fitting the gameplay. It doesn't have to be War and Peace. All it needed to do was supplement the action.

I have no hopes for CoD3.5 to be anything other than a disappointment. I'll wait around for CoD6 when Infinity Ward is back at the helm.

I give that post a 9.1.

Strip away the gameplay and the story of Gears 1 is incredibly shallow, incapable of standing on it's own. It doesn't have to be War and Peace but the characters should be original, well developed with an established plot that is more than just an excuse for shooting. You could tear apart the plot for all it's holes, lack of logical developments and explanation for events if you wanted to. That is simply sloppy writing at best.

Yea, there is your problem right there. Most people enjoyed Gears of War for the gameplay. That being said, your own standards of a good story are already in question with the affections you lavish on MGS' increadibly convoluted and horrid storytelling. Considering you think that anime stories are better than anything Hollywood puts out. It seems that, in general, you like your stories convoluted, devoid of any and all subtlety and the point of a scene must be delivered to you wrapped around a brick so you dont miss it (this describes 99% of anime).

For those that think I'm attacking DTG, please search not only his thread and posts but also those of "billy07", which was his old name. It makes for some entertaining reading.

I give this post a 9.5.

Convoluted is often mistaken with complexity. I prefer a storyline I must rewatch several times to fully comprehend to a generic high school action tale such as Gears 1. While most people play it for the gameplay in this day and age with HD technology and the revolution of cinematic games there is no excuse for video game storylines to be any less captivating and developed than that of movies.

No, pretty much the games and anime you seem to extoll the virtues of generally have convoluted storylines, not complex.  A complex story might imply that there is further thought necessary to figure them out.  I can't imagine needing to replay a MGS game or rewatch an anime show/movie to figure it out.  The point of these stories you say are so much better is generally delivered on a silver platter.

A video game story is still apart of the game.  It exists to support the game and enhance the overall experience.  Gears is a fun game and the story just goes with the action.  It isn't a movie, it is a good game.

I give that post a 9.4. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
Profcrab said:
DTG said:
What Gears 2 needs is a far better realized story. The plot of Gears 1 was extremely generic and if it was in the form of a film or novel it would be the laughing stock of critics and audiance alike. They hired a professional writer this time to achieve that goal but from what I have seen and heard so far it doesn't appear to much improved over it's predecessor. Though not much is known at this time so my opinion could obviously change.

I think the Gears story did a decent enough job of fitting the gameplay. It doesn't have to be War and Peace. All it needed to do was supplement the action.

I have no hopes for CoD3.5 to be anything other than a disappointment. I'll wait around for CoD6 when Infinity Ward is back at the helm.

I give that post a 9.1.

Strip away the gameplay and the story of Gears 1 is incredibly shallow, incapable of standing on it's own. It doesn't have to be War and Peace but the characters should be original, well developed with an established plot that is more than just an excuse for shooting. You could tear apart the plot for all it's holes, lack of logical developments and explanation for events if you wanted to. That is simply sloppy writing at best.

Yea, there is your problem right there. Most people enjoyed Gears of War for the gameplay. That being said, your own standards of a good story are already in question with the affections you lavish on MGS' increadibly convoluted and horrid storytelling. Considering you think that anime stories are better than anything Hollywood puts out. It seems that, in general, you like your stories convoluted, devoid of any and all subtlety and the point of a scene must be delivered to you wrapped around a brick so you dont miss it (this describes 99% of anime).

For those that think I'm attacking DTG, please search not only his thread and posts but also those of "billy07", which was his old name. It makes for some entertaining reading.

I give this post a 9.5.

Convoluted is often mistaken with complexity. I prefer a storyline I must rewatch several times to fully comprehend to a generic high school action tale such as Gears 1. While most people play it for the gameplay in this day and age with HD technology and the revolution of cinematic games there is no excuse for video game storylines to be any less captivating and developed than that of movies.

No, pretty much the games and anime you seem to extoll the virtues of generally have convoluted storylines, not complex. A complex story might imply that there is further thought necessary to figure them out. I can't imagine needing to replay a MGS game or rewatch an anime show/movie to figure it out. The point of these stories you say are so much better is generally delivered on a silver platter.

A video game story is still apart of the game. It exists to support the game and enhance the overall experience. Gears is a fun game and the story just goes with the action. It isn't a movie, it is a good game.

I give that post a 9.4.

Actually many if not the majority of players needed to replay MGS2 several times to fully understand the plot. That is one of the largest "complaints" about the title, several FAQs had to be written on it to aid comprehension.

Also the problem is in you calling video games "games". They are "video" games for a reason and as technology progresses the cinematic aspect is becoming just as important as the gameplay. Video games require increasingly deep storylines to stand out and the plot will and should be as integral to the experience as it is to movies. The term games should really be abolished in favor of "video games" or "interactive movies" as the future draws near.

^^ Well that would probably depend on taste. Some people like games like Dragon's Lair and some don't.