By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "US al qaida free""iraq safer than detroit""terrorists want bearnaise sauce

Sqrl said:
@Rath,

I really think you misunderstood what I've said from the beginning, your last reply brought up a lot of points I wasn't even debating, continued to state things that I've thoroughly rebutted without addressing the points I've made, and in the case of your assertion that you were correct that there wouldn't be any more attacks, you completely ignored the proof I've already linked to that you were wrong.

If you're done with the discussion then I won't carry it out with another long reply and just stop here.

@Kasz,

Do you really think a strategy from an RTS game is a valid comparison here? I mean an RTS game is a zero sum game where each player is started on equal footing with roughly equal technology, and equal resources. Sure if we were facing two other countries with our Military power and infrastructure it wouldn't be smart to stop them from counteracting each other but they aren't that powerful at all, not even close. The scenario is so fundamentally different than anything you will face in an RTS game to date that it honestly has no bearing on this discussion at all.

With that said I agree the best way to deal with it was dealing with both at once, but in reality we aren't playing a zero sum game and the phrase "dealing with" doesn't always mean military action. Iraq and Iran were at very different stages on the path of "due process" before a military move is justified.

And I won't insult your intelligence, as you did mine, for not seeing that.

On your points outside of strategy we really aren't in any major disagreement. Both you and Rath seem to miss the fact that I'm not saying we made the best decision possible by going into Iraq (far from it). My point is simply that we cannot change what has happened, and complaining about it does nothing to aid us, which is why I bolded those past tense words above for emphasis to this point.

Honestly its as sad as the 80 year old man who sits on the porch and laments about his senior year when he almost scored the winning touchdown and would have if only the coach had called his play. Half the country is caught in this mental self-pity trap and if you look through this thread you'll see what I mean, its almost like a drug. Any time the conversation of Iraq and what we're doing today comes up someone has to lament about why we went there to begin with and as the saying goes "misery loves company".

Hey, complaing doesn't help, but I was against the war beforehand because i figured it would screw us and help iran...

and it did.  So I think i get to say "I told you so".

Also i do think it's valid. The RTS method is just the most common and simple example.  All through-out history, just about every book would of told of suggested the same path.  Ignore Iraq until we can deal with Iran.  Then topple Iran, followed by Iraq.

Iran was even the bigger threat when it came to WMDs even before we knew the CIA intellegence was false.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
The PNAC plan that Wolfowitz and some others had established that America needed a military presence in Iraq as soon as possible, before 9/11 even happened or anybody cared about terrorism at all. The reason wasn't the oil, but the fact that it's the chunk of land that connects the entire eastern hemisphere, so it gives access to half the planet's trade routes.

I just looked it up and... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pnac

Oops, it was Project (not Plan) for a New American Century, and Rumfseld and Wolfowitz were both in it. They wrote a letter to Clinton urging him to get rid of Saddam in 1998. Then a couple years later Bush got in office and they got fancy new jobs and suddenly we decided to invade Iraq.

I'm not saying 9/11 was an inside job or even allowed to happen (outside of ignorance and poor planning and horrible intelligence), but I do think it allowed some newly hired wackjobs to get the rest of the administration on board with an Iraq war which they'd been trying to start for years.

And about staying there,

I'm fine with a military base here and there, but if this entire war was to justify a military base, I can't support either the war or the base. I'm not Machiavellian enough to support senseless killing just to give America a strategically placed base. And if the rumors are true and it costs the alleged zillions of dollars to build and defend it, it could double the cost of the occupation for the next couple years, which our economy can't really handle.

Hopefully the economy will handle it.  As the permanent Military base is going to be their no matter which president gets into office as Obama and McCain both support a permanent presense in Iraq to serve American needs.

It will be fairly useful I'd guess since Turkey can be a bit annoying with letting us use their airspace... but if they end up fully in the EU i don't see why it'd be such a problem.