By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much do you reckon Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think Sony paid for Haze. free radical decided to rlease it on Ps3 only for the following reasons:

1. It was postponed due to the nature of the games coming out at the time of release for fear of getting overshadowed

2. FR knew that the game was sub-par thats why they postponed it in the FPS market where ther's insane competition

3. They decided to switch to PS3 only because there was less competition on the console and they felt that exclusivity and hype would thus send dumb fanboys to the shelf. This is why Haze will outsell Quake Wars on PS3 even though Quake wars is a few notches less dumb than Haze

I'm sorry, but thats ridiculous.

1.  Why not postpone it for all three versions?

2.  I think this is the same as your first point, so see that answer again.

3.  Noone in their right mind would believe "Exclusivity hype" would outweigh the combined shooter sales of PC and 360.  In any event, there was no real shooter competition on either of those platforms at the time of release.

There is nothing wrong with moneyhatting games, it gets games for your consumers.  But to think Sony doesn't do it is foley. 

The game was slated for release when Halo 3 was still in full throttle and COD4 just received a massive embrace...this is tough competition. The developers knew the game sucked. It sucks so bad that its impossible for them not to realize this. However since there were basically no games to compete with on PS3, it makes sense to make it exclusive to save face because some PS3 owners would buy it because they have nothing else to play while it will sell horrendously relative to other FPS games on 360. However, since it wasn't released on 360 we can't see that

if you don't think competition matters, why do you think MGS2 outsold MGS3 (hint:it is not because 2 was better, some people even hated mgs2 because of Raiden). It is because there weren't that many games worth playing on ps2 at the time of mgs2's release. There are many games I skipped on ps2 due to lack of time that I'm searching for now. I bought COD4 even though I never played an FPS last gen because it was the only good release on PS3 at its time. I never bought any previous mgs games even though I watched my cousins play and followed the story. however I'll be buying mgs4 because I don't really have any other new ps3 games to play---no competition for mgs4.

Even though you called my post ridiculous, I tried my best to explain. Hope this makes some sense

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Lol. Sony IS buying exclusives, but all the wrong ones.

-Heavenly Sword
-Lair
-Haze

vs

-Mass Effect
-Bioshock
-Star Ocean 4

You're using some bad Sony examples there.Hows about this list instead.

-Mass Effect

-Bioshock

-Star Ocean

vs

-Resistance

-MGS4

-FFXIII

mtofu said:
1. phil said that sony doesn't pay for exclusives

He did? If this is true, MGS4 was confirmed in production before he left so...

If they did pay anything, I doubt it would be much. Previous years, it made sense to release games for the PS1 and PS2 if you want big sales. Not it's more even so, money might be used to persuade or entice. But the money has to cover their lost revenue and Konami might have faith in the series to sell enough to make them money.

Answers to Qs.

1. No idea 

2. Help with production costs only. (maybe use of Sony Studios for voice recording etc) 

3. Yes. Any extra sales is good for any new game released on any console. Same reason MS bought Star Ocean no doubt... 

Hmm, pie.

SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:

-Heavenly Sword
-Lair
-Haze

vs

-Mass Effect
-Bioshock
-Star Ocean 4

heavenly sword is sony's IP,,unlike Lair and HAze

bioshock is heading to PS3,,a better and enhanced version of it

so will Mass effect and Starocean 4

that's something you can't say about the PS3 exclusive you listed(though i hope to see a haze port to 360)

Heavenly Sword was going to the 360 until Sony MONEYHATTED the IP.

Bioshock is going to the PS3 (though these enhancements your talking about are going to the 360 and PC through downloads).  But it will be like Oblivion on PS3 or VF5 on 360.  A release noone cares about.  Microsoft got all the possible hardware sales that existed out of Bioshock already.

The same goes for Mass Effect, except it wont see the light of day on the PS3.  Microsoft published the game.  EA only got publishing rights on the PC because MS gave them away.  I doubt they did that for nothing.

As for Star Ocean 4?  I'm pretty sure it'll hit PS3.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it gets no Western release date like Eternal Sonata, and if all console-sales benfits are taken by the earlier 360 version.

Microsoft moneyhatting>Sony moneyhatting=Good for Xbox 360 owners. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
Gobias said:
How much do you reckon Microsoft pays Starcraft?

As much as Sony paid for MGS4.

I don't blame you for thinking Starcraft is paid by MS at all.

But of course with the salary you must be getting, its a miracle Sony can afford to do any moneyhatting at all.

He used it first, don't steal ;)

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
starcraft said:
Everstar said:
LOL everyone is getting mad when you ask a question makes no sence to me =/
I know huh? I didn't even imply sales would be bad.........

Perhaps PS-She was right.

Anywho, the real question isn't how much Sony paid for exclusivity (if they did at all) but how much profit Sony is going to rake in from it.

I don't think anything that exists in this thread justifies that extremely rude persons opinions.

Bioshock, better version coming to the PS3.

Microsoft have the best exclusives do they?

MGS4!

Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:

I'm sorry, but thats ridiculous.

1. Why not postpone it for all three versions?

2. I think this is the same as your first point, so see that answer again.

3. Noone in their right mind would believe "Exclusivity hype" would outweigh the combined shooter sales of PC and 360. In any event, there was no real shooter competition on either of those platforms at the time of release.

There is nothing wrong with moneyhatting games, it gets games for your consumers. But to think Sony doesn't do it is foley.

The game was slated for release when Halo 3 was still in full throttle and COD4 just received a massive embrace...this is tough competition. The developers knew the game sucked. It sucks so bad that its impossible for them not to realize this. However since there were basically no games to compete with on PS3, it makes sense to make it exclusive to save face because some PS3 owners would buy it because they have nothing else to play while it will sell horrendously relative to other FPS games on 360. However, since it wasn't released on 360 we can't see that

if you don't think competition matters, why do you think MGS2 outsold MGS3 (hint:it is not because 2 was better, some people even hated mgs2 because of Raiden). It is because there weren't that many games worth playing on ps2 at the time of mgs2's release. There are many games I skipped on ps2 due to lack of time that I'm searching for now. I bought COD4 even though I never played an FPS last gen because it was the only good release on PS3 at its time. I never bought any previous mgs games even though I watched my cousins play and followed the story. however I'll be buying mgs4 because I don't really have any other new ps3 games to play---no competition for mgs4.

Even though you called my post ridiculous, I tried my best to explain. Hope this makes some sense

I understand your reasoning, I just think that the benefits of having the game on three systems greatly outweighs any artificial increases from a perception of exclusivity.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:

-Heavenly Sword
-Lair
-Haze

vs

-Mass Effect
-Bioshock
-Star Ocean 4

heavenly sword is sony's IP,,unlike Lair and HAze

bioshock is heading to PS3,,a better and enhanced version of it

so will Mass effect and Starocean 4

that's something you can't say about the PS3 exclusive you listed(though i hope to see a haze port to 360)

Heavenly Sword was going to the 360 until Sony MONEYHATTED the IP.

Bioshock is going to the PS3 (though these enhancements your talking about are going to the 360 and PC through downloads).  But it will be like Oblivion on PS3 or VF5 on 360.  A release noone cares about.  Microsoft got all the possible hardware sales that existed out of Bioshock already.

The same goes for Mass Effect, except it wont see the light of day on the PS3.  Microsoft published the game.  EA only got publishing rights on the PC because MS gave them away.  I doubt they did that for nothing.

As for Star Ocean 4?  I'm pretty sure it'll hit PS3.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it gets no Western release date like Eternal Sonata, and if all console-sales benfits are taken by the earlier 360 version.

Microsoft moneyhatting>Sony moneyhatting=Good for Xbox 360 owners. 

you get paid by euros or dollars, sony direct deposit my pay in yen, god they cheap.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, Starcraft could be a viral Marketer.

I mean, look, it's 2:20 A.M. where he "lives". Who is up that late at night?

Of course he says he's "studying", Studying Bill Gates' history I presume.

I think we need to ban starcraft for being a viral marketer.