By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RRoD Explained

Forgive me if this has been posted before; I try to stay out of the MS forum as I rarely would be able to contribute much.  However, I saw this link and thought some here might be interested:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208403010

The truth about last year's Xbox 360 recall

Junko Yoshida
EE Times

ANAHEIM, Calif. — When Microsoft Corp. announced a mammoth global recall of its Xbox 360 a year ago, the software giant never disclosed the exact source of the game console's heat problem that led to the fiasco.

Now, in an unlikely venue at Design Automation Conference here, Bryan Lewis, research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner, disclosed that the problem started in a graphic chip. Lewis offered this offhand revelation while discussing the changing ASIC and ASSP landscape for his DAC audience.

The Xbox 360 recall a year ago happened because "Microsoft wanted to avoid an ASIC vendor," said Lewis. Microsoft designed the graphic chip on its own, cut a traditional ASIC vendor out of the process and went straight to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd., he explained.

But in the end, by going cheap--hoping to save tens of millions of dollars in ASIC design costs, Microsoft ended up paying more than $1 billion for its Xbox 360 recall.

To fix the problem, Microsoft went back to an unnamed ASIC vendor based in the United States and redesigned the chip, Lewis added. (Based on a previous report, the ASIC vendor is most likely the former ATI Technologies, now part of AMD.)

Asked the moral of the story, Lewis said: "Had Microsoft left the graphics processor design to an ASIC vendor in the first place, would they have been able to avoid this problem?

"Probably. The ASIC vendor could have been able to design a graphics processor that dissipates much less power."

During Microsoft's conference call with analysts in July 2007, Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices division, withheld details of the Xbox 360 problem, other than calling it a "design issue." When pressed by an analyst if it was caused by Xbox production or assembly, Microsoft's Bach said at that time, "No."

He added: "Our partners are doing good work." Rather, "the challenge" was created by "Microsoft-initiated design,"Bach said.

Although some system companies have been experimenting with direct links to foundries by cutting out the ASIC design houses, the death of ASICs may have been greatly exaggerated. More accurately, "many ASSP companies are designing ASICs for high volume customers," Gartner's Lewis said. The "ASIC market is far from dead, but it trails the ASSP market," he said.

Lewis cited Nokia, the world's largest handset vendor, which has stopped designing its own ASICs. It recently opened up its IC sourcing to various chip vendors beyond usual suspects such as Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics.

"System OEMs have no business designing ASICs any longer," said Lewis. The reality is that system companies are finding it hard to do enough ASIC designs to keep in-house design teams employed.

When it was pointed out that Microsoft still has its own semiconductor technology group that is still designing various chips, Lewis responded, "How many ASICs per year does Microsoft design? Not many" compared to experienced ASIC/ASSIP vendors.

Microsoft did not respond to requests to comment on this story.

-----

Short version:

MS tried to cut (probably) AMD/ATI out of the process, and got burned. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

I assume that the MS executive that made that call has seen his career flourish about as well as the Air Force public relations type who turned down Top Gun thereby handing the Navy millions of dollars worth of recruiting on a silver platter..

Well for starters there was no recall, two they put aside a billion not actually, three the GPU has been known as the real issue for oh so long. Not really much new here at all.

Madyson5 said:
Well for starters there was no recall, two they put aside a billion not actually, three the GPU has been known as the real issue for oh so long. Not really much new here at all.

Well, except that the reason the GPU was the issue because MS decided to try a go at it themselves, and got burned... 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

I still like to think RROD is caused by the power of angry sony fans combined collective unconsious causing the things to randomly overheat with the power of the force.

Back before the force was just stupid ass bacteria.

Kasz216 said:
I still like to think RROD is caused by the power of angry sony fans combined collective unconsious causing the things to randomly overheat with the power of the force.

Back before the force was just stupid ass bacteria.

I like to think that George Lucas was watching his kid play Parasite Eve and suddenly went, "Holy crap! I finally understand the Force. Finally, I have an explanation."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

So the...Engineering For Noobs manual wasn't on site?