By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - S-E Producer: Star Ocean 4 on PS3 still undecided

Diomedes1976 said:
Maybe Sony tried to buy this and was overweighted by M$ .....

This royally sucks.

There could be other possibility.Final Fantasy XIII finally coming out this december or early 2009 and SE delaying Last Remnant and SO4 on the PS3 to avoid those competing between them....while at the time getting some money from MS.
I think SE are smart enough not to release those three games too close to each other.  The Last Remnant comes out in the Winter, Star Ocean comes out in 2009 and FFXIII is going to come out in late 2009 at the earliest.

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
darthdevidem01 said:
SOMEONE in Japan go n KILL SCEJ!

Gimme a gun and I'll do the job. People can say... game will release on the PS3 eventually... the eventually is I'm bothering about... I'm tired of waiting! When do we get the game then? 1 year, 2 years after the 360 release? In case no one hasn't noticed it, but Eternal Sonata probably won't even hit the Western regions and stays in Japan. Africa staying in Japan, Ace Combat 6 on the 360, Tales of Vesperia on the 360, SOIV on the 360, Fatal Frame IV on the WII, Monster Hunter 3 on the WII, KH3 (probably) on the WII... its not only about the SOIV, its about all these games, games being postponed, games being canceled, Sony being too lazy, sitting back and doing totally "nothing". Developers and Sony itself are killing not only the JRPG genre but also the entire PS brand this way.

@Darthdevidem, nope its Enix officially, Tri Ace only produced it, but it isn't Tri Ace's brand, like the main Dragon Quest game isn't Level 5's brand, neither Dark Cloud. Its Square Enix its brand, or else SE wouldn't be the one developing a DS game.

Noone is killing the JRPG genre.  As a 360 owner thats played 3 JRPG's this year, and will play at least two more this year, I can assure you of this.

There is no inherant evil in Microsoft trying to secure exclusives and content for people that purchase their system.  On the contrary, it would be more evil if they didn't.  Sony tried for JRPG's when they subsidized their system by $200 a unit at launch.

That may have been a bad decision, but it doesn't mean they are being "lazy." 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

This is definitely pretty annoying as a PS3 owner, though at least I have a backlog of PS2 and PSP JRPG's to keep me busy. Seriously, is SCEJ just sticking their head up their own asses or what?

But honestly, I think MS is just wasting their money that could be better spent elsewhere. It seems Japan is determined to not buy a 360 no matter how hard MS tries.

Unfortunately these just seem to be time exclusives from what I gather, so I still have no incentive to pick up a 360 since I am not overly impressed with the JRPG offerings so far. The JRPG market on consoles just seems to be getting smaller and smaller, and stuff like this isn't helping. At least I have a handheld now, the only place where JRPG's seem to matter anymore.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah its like Microsoft is paying to keep Sony down not to win. Its pathetic, but at this point I dont really care about sales anymore. With Microsoft around Sony can never win. I think thats the bottom line. Microsoft will blow loads and loads of money just to make sure Sony doesn't get the games that made the PS2 prosper. Its still kinda funny that no matter what they do the PS3 will eventually pass the 360, but the PS3 is never going to do anything but marginally better than the 360 at this rate.

I guess not getting totally blown out of the water is more important to Microsoft than being profitable. But no one is going to buy the 360 regardless of what they do. If exclusive GTAIV content cant do it, what makes them think JRPG's can? lol

Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Soriku

its not an SE franchise

its Tri-Ace....

SO was originally an Enix franchise. Enix owned the IP itself but tri-Ace just produced it. Square and Enix marged and BAM! It's a SE franchise.

Also, have you played a SO before Darth? SO2 (on the PS1) is a GREAT game ^^

Enix was so the better of the two... their stock was even worth more at the merger.  Makes me wonder why
 they went with the name "Square-Enix" and things were set up so eaisly for a square executive to be up top with the Enix main man more as a figurehead.

Enix really was the better company management wise. 

Around the Network

How can anyone say this is pathetic from Microsoft.

What would be pathetic is if they didn't do everything they could to secure quality titles for their system. Consumers pay for the system trusting Microsoft to do everything they can to get content out there for them.

blazinhead89 said:
JRPG games mainly sell in Japan and Xbox doesnt, so all these JRPGs wiil get ported to PS3, ( Mircosoft they know they cant beat SONY on brand Name alone so they are up to their dirty tricks as usual, thats y i'll never by a Mircosoft Console,I have no respect for that company, and thats why I think Japan doesnt buy 360)

Yet Sony pulled these same tricks with the PS1... and you have a playstation 3...

akuma587 said:
This is definitely pretty annoying as a PS3 owner, though at least I have a backlog of PS2 and PSP JRPG's to keep me busy. Seriously, is SCEJ just sticking their head up their own asses or what?

But honestly, I think MS is just wasting their money that could be better spent elsewhere. It seems Japan is determined to not buy a 360 no matter how hard MS tries.

Unfortunately these just seem to be time exclusives from what I gather, so I still have no incentive to pick up a 360 since I am not overly impressed with the JRPG offerings so far. The JRPG market on consoles just seems to be getting smaller and smaller, and stuff like this isn't helping. At least I have a handheld now, the only place where JRPG's seem to matter anymore.

Star Ocean 4 isn't timed, its just exclusive.  Even if that changes, they confirmed that they haven't started work on a PS3 port, so at best its still two years away.  Even then, it could go the way of Eternal Sonata.  A massive delay and no Western Release.

the guy was on a MS event, he's not going to play with his bribe money like that. The game will be released on the ps3 next year, just not at the same time.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
ConAir said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Sony should rethink their strategy of not giving out money for exclusives.Ms is throwing truckloads of money to japanese developers.And ,while it doest mean anything for them as they still sell very few consoles ,its slowing down the PS3 to an extent we cannot fully understand.....

THis is crap ,this is the kind of thing that makes me not want a 360 at all.I dont want MS to buy the industry like this.

It's sabotaging the opponent. Never seen such a tactic in all consolewars tbh. But what if bth parties don't gain because of that. Than Nintendo is the laughing third to run off with KH III.

Btw, like I said in another topic. This whole idea of arranging (timed) exclusives and than presenting the results in the week that MGS 4 releases can't hardly be coincedence (spelled correctly?). It can give people doubts to buy a PS3, even though there are stillPS3 RPG's coming...

I don't know.  It reminds me of when Microsoft paid developers to not put out games on the Gamecube but just PS2/360.