By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 in control US nuclear arsenal

This system will be used for simulation, not weapons control. It's used to determine if the weapons will actually work even though they are old. Virtual simulations avoid all the political and environmental problems of actually testing them in the real world.

Around the Network
jedson328 said:
Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?

lol.  just found that movie on AMC right now.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Hm.

In other news... my half galon of milk sends people into space! (Cause spaceships use a super durable special type of plastic... and my milk container also uses plastic!)

Makes you wonder if Mike Kent actually understood anything about his story or just rewrote what everyone told him without understanding it but knew the PS3 used the cell.

FinalEvangelion said:
Skynet is about to go online.

Truly an awesome post :D

if it was built by Wii' Components, they could control the nuclear missile by waggle the wii-mote

Around the Network
stclam said:
if it was built by Wii' Components, they could control the nuclear missile by waggle the wii-mote

It was. Based on the same logic that it's built on the PS3's components.

After all it is using power aritecture... and all power aritecture is the same.

How ironic that a Japanese company is now helping the Americans develop scenarios for their nuclear bombs.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Fernando said:

Dude... it's a much better Cell processor. The Cell processor is not only a Sony product.

It was developed by Toshiba, Sony and IBM. IBM is the producer of that supercomputer, using a lot more advance Cell procesors, not the ones in the PS3.

In fact, its a very modified Cell processor, called IBM PowerXCell:  In May 2008, IBM introduced the high-performance double-precision floating-point version of the Cell processor, the PowerXCell 8i, at the 65 nm feature size.

But the main power comes from the AMD Processors. The PowerXCells is just to accelerate the speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Roadrunner

"IBM Roadrunner uses an updated version of the Cell processor, manufactured using 65 nm technology and enhanced SPUs that can handle double precision calculations in the 128-bit registers, reaching double precision 100 GFLOPs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor#Supercomputing

Actually, the Roadrunner has 6 480 dual core AMD Opteron processors and 12 960 Cell processors; the Opterons handle file and network I/O and basic calculations, while the Cell processors take care of the heavy duty scientific calculations, I suspect especially floating point calculations since that's what the Cell excels in. In total, the Roadrunner has 116 640 processor cores and 51.8 TB of RAM for the Opterons and 51.8 TB or RAM for the Cells. Pretty hefty amount of memory, I'd say. The Roadrunner runs on Linux, I wonder if anybody will try running, say, Crysis via Wine there? ;)