By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The true PS3 super-computer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7443557.stm

"A supercomputer built with components designed for the Sony PlayStation 3 has set a new computing milestone.

The IBM machine, codenamed Roadrunner, has been shown to run at "petaflop speeds", the equivalent of one thousand trillion calculations per second.

The benchmark means the computer is twice as nimble as the current world's fastest machine, also built by IBM."

I have to say that this is pretty impressive - not using Cell processors solely though but still shows what the processor is capable of doing for certain applications.

Around the Network

PS4 full scale super computer confirmed? ;)

SpartanFX said:
PS4 full scale super computer confirmed? ;)

At $133 million per unit, you would have to get 200 extra jobs to pay for this.

I think it's a bit misleading. The cell wasn't just designed for the PS3.

Yes

But can it run Crysis?

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

Yes, but not in high graphics mode.

The Cell wasn't designed for PS3, so the subject line is misleading. That's like saying a supercomputer was built from components designed for the previous generation of Macs because it used PowerPC processors.

Then again, there has been at least one super computer built from hundreds of rack-mount Macs, so let us know when the same is done with a giant array of PS3s.

crumas2 said:
The Cell wasn't designed for PS3, so the subject line is misleading. That's like saying a supercomputer was built from components designed for the previous generation of Macs because it used PowerPC processors.

Then again, there has been at least one super computer built from hundreds of rack-mount Macs, so let us know when the same is done with a giant array of PS3s.

it is done with 8 PS3s in a university ,,here is the PIC:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=220 

Please read the thing and understand it.

It is built with normal processors and Cell processors are added to up the speed. The cell processors are an enhanced version of the PS3 processors, which would not be powerful enough.

So claiming the computer is made of PS3s is misleading and the thread fails.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Hey its not as if I just put the PS3 reference in myself, its actually in the BBC story.